Nikon D200 vs. Nikon D3

I'm a D200 user, I also got my hands on a D3 for the day and its amazing, I would certainly trade up and as it is for business you get tax incentives. Also, the only thing, if your buying a Rolls Royce, dont put fluffy dice on the mirror, buy the best glass you can......

I'm a D200 user, I also got my hands on a D3 for the day and its amazing, I would certainly trade up and as it is for business you get tax incentives. Also, the only thing, if your buying a Rolls Royce, dont put fluffy dice on the mirror, buy the best glass you can......

And if the best glass you can get isn't the best glass available, don't bother with a D3 yet...

i'm not sure if your guys know this or not since I haven't seen it mentioned at all in this thread, but to use the D3 you have to buy a whole new set of FX formated lenses. If you use the DX formated lens, that all other Nikons use, on a D3 the full frame is cut down to standard dslr size and the mega pixels also drop down to 5 and some change.

It makes spending the chunk of change on a D3 pointless if you don't buy new lenses for it. You'd be better off using a D300 or 200.

i'm not sure if your guys know this or not since I haven't seen it mentioned at all in this thread, but to use the D3 you have to buy a whole new set of FX formated lenses. If you use the DX formated lens, that all other Nikons use, on a D3 the full frame is cut down to standard dslr size and the mega pixels also drop down to 5 and some change.

It makes spending the chuck of change on a D3 pointless if you don't buy new lenses for it. You'd be better off using a D300 or 200.

You're a bit misinformed, Dan. It's true that DX lenses are cropped on the D3, but the D3 does not require FX lenses. Any lens that isn't a DX will work on the D3 without cropping, someone correct me if I'm wrong. But, you do not, I am 100% sure of this, need FX lenses to use the D3 in a non-cropped shooting mode.

Sorry for my original post and its slightly condescending manner. Just, I don't know, when you're going to the extent of questioning, 17 posts into a thread, whether or not the people in here know about the D3's cropping of DX lenses, you should probably consider whether or not you're being condescending yourself. Eh?

Not every lens that isn't FX is DX, you know that right?

I don't have a D3, but I don't have any DX lenses either.

So, sorry Hooligan Dan, but you're a bit misinformed. There are more lenses out there other than DX or FX. How about the 70-200mm f/2.8? That's not DX, and it sure as hell isn't gonna be cropped down on a D3. What about a 50mm f/1.4? Or a 600mm f/4? There are more lenses that Nikon makes aren't DX than there are lenses that are DX. So, you only have to buy new lenses for a D3 if every single lens you have is DX...and most people have more than just DX glass?

Ah. All the reviews I've have read only talked about the D3 using the FX formated lens so I assumed that it required it. I was wrong. Good job at replying in a very condescending manner, though. Kudos.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back