Nikon D40 and continous shoot with no flash?

ByTheSeaForever

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there, I am hoping that someone may be able to help me. I would like to take pictures of my son's indoor basketball game using my Nikon D40. I would like for the camera to be in the AutoFocus setting, also in continous shoot mode and to disable the flash. Is this possible? So far, every time I put the setting to no flash, I have to manually focus and thus cannot continously shoot. Help - I can't figure it out from the manual! Thanks in advance if anyone known how to do this.

MikeBcos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Set the camera on P, A or S mode, not Auto, it will then do as you want.

potownrob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
As Mike said, put it in P mode (or any non-auto mode) and keep the flash closed. You also have to switch it to burst mode in the menus.

Dantheman4334

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
if your shooting sports, dont use P, use tv and set the shutter speed above 1/250. The pics will be dark, but no sports photography should be shot below 1/250

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Set the camera on P, A or S mode, not Auto, it will then do as you want.
There is also the M shooting mode.

What about when panning :lol:
Very true. Shutter speed can be anywhere from 1/30s to the upper limit of your camera. All depending on the effect you want to see. The blur can give a very dramatic effect.

MikeBcos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit

Yep, there is, but I would only use M for sports if that was all my camera had. I tend to use A, get the aperture wide open to isolate what I am photographing and let the camera take care of the shutter speed - always assuming sufficient light of course.

Dantheman4334

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit

Very true. Shutter speed can be anywhere from 1/30s to the upper limit of your camera. All depending on the effect you want to see. The blur can give a very dramatic effect.

I'm assuming this guys isn't really trying to be dramatic with his shots. :mrgreen::wink:

Most reactions