Nikon D5100 or Pentax K-30

Ducky11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Guys, I am looking to get my first SLR & after extensive research I am left with 2 options that I can't decide between. I will mainly be using it for outdoor photography & photography in low light & night-time conditions. In all likelihood, it might get slightly wet (not soaked). Image quality & colour depth is of utmost importance.

My options are as follows (these work out to the same price approximately).

• Nikon D5100 + 18-105mm lens.
  • Pentax K-30 (body only) + Tamaron 18-200mm lens

Which of these do you think is a better buy?

Update: It has recently been brought to my attention that the Tamaron lens which I was considering for the Pentax camera is no good in low light due to it's slow maximum aperture (F3.5 - F6.3). The lens for the Nikon however is f3.5-5.6. Is there any alternative? I'm not keen on using flash & the 18-200 mm range seemed like a nice all-rounder.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,

Ducky

In my opinion K30 is preferable. Сlass of the k-30 higher, IMHO
It means that k-30 more comfortable for getting photo (including bad weather).
But you should use 'WR' lens to reach maximum of waterproofing ;)

I would recommend you going for Pentax K-30 as it is a weather sealed body, and has some very unique features. But weather sealing won't work unless you buy the WR lenses so that your lens don't get water seeped in. Also Pentax is very keen and fast atm to snatch market share from Canon and Nikon.
For me Pentax K-30 has a clear advantage over the D5100.

It'd be the D5100, hands down, for me, but admittedly, I just have a bit of a Nikon bias.

Have you actually HELD both cameras and tried them out? I have NO idea how the Pentax K30 compares to the D5100 functionally, but there is really NO substitute for holding them in your hands. One may just "fit" you better; you may prefer the placement of different dials and buttons on one over the other, etc.

Have you thought about long-term options? That is, what are your future plans and which camera may fit into that best. What would you upgrade to from the Pentax? What other kinds of lenses would you be getting eventually? Just remember that more than likely, whichever brand you go with is going to be the foundation for everything else for years--so make sure you also like your other lens options for that brand, the flash options, etc.

Most reactions

Back