Nikon D700 or D300S for College?

Jesse11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I realize that the decision between these two camera has been posted about before, however most of those threads are older and of course were based on different criteria. I am going to be starting college in a month and will need a new camera; I currently have a Nikon D60. I will be a photojournalism major (also considering switching to photo illustration later) so will definitely need a major upgrade, and am torn between the D700 and the D300S, both listed as acceptable for my major. With the first I would have the advantages of the full frame sensor and its low noise, but the D300S is much cheaper, has a 100% viewfinder, and the dual card capability. I was just wondering if anyone could help recommend one of these for my needs, since I'm not certain which features will be more important or if the D700 is worth the extra money and the need to buy new lenses. Thanks ahead!

The d700 is the better choice but the d300s is a good camera. If the d700 is out of your price range then the FX glass may be out of your budget as well. IMHO, I'd just go with a d300s and a couple of lenses for the same price as a d700. Sure it's not a full frame but it's no slouch and you are only using it for school.

The d700 is the better choice but the d300s is a good camera. If the d700 is out of your price range then the FX glass may be out of your budget as well. IMHO, I'd just go with a d300s and a couple of lenses for the same price as a d700. Sure it's not a full frame but it's no slouch and you are only using it for school.

Solid advice.

OP unless you have expendable income... Go with the D300s and a few lenses. That's quite a versatile camera to start out with in college.

Is your D60 currently holding you back? What lenses do you have?

hold on to your d60 and pre order a d800!!!! looks like a sweet camera. I would still hold onto the purchase of a d700 however, when the d800 is release it will price drop a little, not significantly but it will probably be the difference of an sb-600 or a new standard prime. I have yet to use the d300s but what i see in reviews is that the d7000 is better deal money wise, i've got a d7000 and i dont know how the d300s could be a better dx camera. Go for a d7000 or pre order a d800 and tough it out with the d60 for a while.

how did the OP manage to get banned so quickly?

I currently have a Nikon D60.

Today 03:57 AM

Good evening! I am new to this forum and have been a professional photographer for some time now...can anyone give me some advice on what type of lens to use for newborn and infant/child photography?

Today 03:51 AM

Hi

I've recently purchased a Nikon D3100. I'm interested in taking internal shots for rooms and was wondering what lense would be best? I would like to capture the whole room(well most of it) in one shot, so would a 14mm do the job or would i need to go lower?

Today 03:49 AM

Hi Everyone !

I have my first DSLR wedding to shoot ( very cheap lol) I have a Canon 60D and the 18-135 lens it came with and a 75-300 canon lens.

02-16-2012 09:10 AM

Just gauging what everyone else shoots with. Myself I use a Canon T3 with some package lenses.

02-12-2012 09:25 AM

This kid had 4 different cameras in a week, and he's thinking about upgrading his body again.

He doesn't even have good FX lenses.

Or he could be trolling, which I think is more the case. Good thing he got B-sevened.

However, his post does prove that if you shoot your first wedding on Thursday, you'll have been "a professional photographer for some time now..." by Monday around 4:00AM EST.

He is banned already.. let it DIE! lol!

how did the OP manage to get banned so quickly?

Cuz I started reporting his cheesy a$$ trolling everytime he would open a new thread.. and I probably wasn't the only one! lol!

Most reactions

Back