Nikon D7000 or Canon Rebel t2i

smallfry19

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My wonderful mother-in-law gave us the Canon Rebel t2i with the 2 lens package: EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS II & EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS II.

We were originally going to purchase the Nikon D7000 body and use our existing lenses from an old 35mm system which are: Nikkor 35-70 1:3.3-4.5 and 70-300 1:4-5.6 G We also have the Nikon Speedlight SB-28DX flash for the Nikon.

The Nikon is about $350 more than the Nikon. I hope to purchase a 1.8 50mm lens for either system, but would need a new flash for the Canon too, so in theory they would be about the same cost wise. Which would you choose?

My wonderful mother-in-law gave us the Canon Rebel t2i with the 2 lens package: EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS II & EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS II.

We were originally going to purchase the Nikon D7000 body and use our existing lenses from an old 35mm system which are: Nikkor 35-70 1:3.3-4.5 and 70-300 1:4-5.6 G We also have the Nikon Speedlight SB-28DX flash for the Nikon.

The Nikon is about $350 more than the Nikon. I hope to purchase a 1.8 50mm lens for either system, but would need a new flash for the Canon too, so in theory they would be about the same cost wise. Which would you choose?
Just wanted to point that out.

oops, thanks! Nikon is $300 more than the Canon. But since I need the flash for the canon, they are a wash.....

smallfry19 said:
oops, thanks! Nikon is $300 more than the Canon. But since I need the flash for the canon, they are a wash.....

I'd go with the Nikon d7000. I think the d7000 is still considered entry level (not sure) but it is definitely a step above the average entry level. It has 2 command dials whereas the T2i probably only has one. The d7000 has a lot more dedicated buttons so you don't have to menu dive to change things like white balance and whatnot. I'm not that familiar with canon products but the d7000 probably handles higher ISO's better. D7000 has way more focus points as well.

Here's a link for a comparison between the 2 cameras

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_Rebel_T2i-vs-Nikon_D7000

There's an old,old,old camera-trader's saying. It goes like this: "Never look a gift camera in the mirror chamber."

Or something like that.

The T2i is a good mid-grade entry-level camera.

The D7000 is a better, top-of-the-category, entry-level camera than the T2i is. The 2 are not directly comparable. The closest Canon can get to the D7000 is the 60D.

A further consideration would be if your MIL would understand that selling the T2i so you can get a D7000 was justfiable from a technical perspective.

Then again, your MIL may not even notice the brand on the camera changed. ;) They are both black after all.

The T2i is a good mid-grade entry-level camera.

The D7000 is a better, top-of-the-category, entry-level camera than the T2i is. The 2 are not directly comparable. The closest Canon can get to the D7000 is the 60D.

Keith, I know you've been adamant about the D7000 being an entry-level camera due to the naming scheme, but I don't think this is the case. DXOMark, a Nikon partner, has the D7000 labeled as a "Semi-Pro DSLR". I've also read somewhere (I can't find the source right now) where Nikon themselves referred to the D7000 has a "Prosumer" body. Additionally, the D7000 exhibits features such as the top LCD and dedicated buttons/wheels that are common among Prosumer cameras and NOT among consumer level bodies. The closest thing Canon can get to the D7000 is the 7D not the 60D. We have several 7D's (along with 50D's and top quality Canon glass) and IMO the D7000 is a better body than the 7D let alone the 50D which is arguably a better body than the 60D.

The D7000 is not an "entry-level" camera. It simply costs too much money to be "entry-level". The D7000 is a camera designed to sell to "enthusiasts", or "serious amateur photographers". The fact that the body alone costs almost TWICE as much as a D3100 with kit zoom lens makes it blatantly obvious that the D7000 is not an "entry-level" camera...no matter bhow many hundreds of times one specific poster keeps referring to it as "entry-level".

An entry-level Nikon must compete with entry-level cameras from Canon, Pentax, Sony, and Olympus. An "entry-level" camera must be manufactured and sold based on price,price,and price. The D7000 costs well over twice the price of some of the off-brand entry-level cameras.

"Entry-level" means just exactly what it SAYS: the price, and features, are at the entry level for the category. When one is pricing at twice the price of entrance to the category, the obvious fact become apparent to anybody familiar with the camera business...the D7000's retail price means it is nowhere near an entry-level camera. If it were, it would be selling for $499 to $699 with some kind of lens. But it's not...

Ergo...repeating nonsense over and over does not make it so...not when simple facts are there to contradict the nonsense.

repeating nonsense over and over does not make it so
Derrel is weird... Derrel is weird... Derrel is weird... Derrel is weird... Derrel is weird...

Dang, its not working!!!

---

I agree, D7000 is not entry-level. I think I would compare it to the 7D. The Nikon D7000 is a nice camera.

I would buy the nikon d7000, also it makes more sense if you have all those old lenses that you can use, which are quite good and there just going to waste if your gonna get the Canon...plus that more money invested in canon glass, instead of the glass you already have from nikon...

Nikon D7000 has a very powerful sensor, it rulez.
But buy D5100 instead. It has the same sensor just less buttons and a smaller viewfinder.
Do the right thing! :)

pisicel - the D7000 supports AF lenses while the D5100 supports only AF-S, The D7000 has a built in motor for lenses, while the D5100 does not, if he would start from scratch thats ok, but he has all these nice old lenses he could use only if he gets the D7000 and not the D5100.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back