Nikon D7000 vs. Canon T5i

deandavis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a relative newbie to the dSLR world and was hoping to get some advice from all you experts out there.

I'm currently looking at getting either the Nikon D7000 or Canon T5i. The bundles I'm looking at are both similarly priced and come with similar lens kits.

I previously had a Nikon D80 (which I have since sold along with all lenses), and so I am used to Nikon's and their features/functions. I also like the size of the D7000.

On the other hand, the Canon appears to be a bit of a sharper camera in terms of image clarity and coloring which is what I'm looking for at the end of the day (although it does have a smaller sensor so perhaps it's just perception?).

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts here on what they think is the better camera. Are there any "big picture" things that I should be considering or may be overlooking? Pardon the pun.

Thanks!
DD

The d7000 would be my recommendation simply because it is a more specced camera in terms of ergonomics and build. It has 2 control wheels, weather sealing and argumentatively a better sensor for dynamic range.

The Canon is a fine camera also with the swivel screen etc, but is more entry level.

Both are nice (I had the t2i which is a previous incarnation to the t5i but same sensor). I now have the d7100 which is the d7000 newer brother. I like both, but prefer the Nikon.

Thanks very much jaomul for then input! I'm leaning towards the D7000 too. I am familiar with the Nikon family, although I'm concerned with image quality given that the D7000 is a bit older (2011 I believe?). How do you think the T5i and D7000 compare in terms of image quality?

I'd say very similar. I wont knock either but the Canon sensor is a five year old design, so you could say they are both older. It is often said the newer sensor in nikons hold up better to post processing and have better dynamic range at low iso. While I think the canons have great image quality, I do believe if I make an exposure mistake, post processing on the Nikon is better

I was reading about the D7000 the other day in comparison to the D7100 and apart from the resolution difference the D7000 has what was called an iso-less sensor meaning very little image noise regardless of iso level with it`s Sony sensor, though the D7000 can be suseptable to back-focus problem.

John.

Thanks for the information everyone! So far it definitely seems like the Nikon D7000 is the better camera.

Tinderbox: can you explain what you mean by the back-focus problem?

Anyone else want to weigh in on the pros/cons of the Nikon D7000 vs. Canon T5i?

Probably few people have used both.
I've only used the Nikon d7000, and for me it's a great camera. But I have no information on comparing it to a Canon T5i. I'm sure it's a great camera too.

There's alot of articles out on the net about comparisons, such as
Canon T5i vs Nikon D7000 - Our Analysis

The Canon t5i has a flip out screen which can come handy in certain situations. But then the Nikon d5000 series has that too .. the newest d5300, d5200, d5100 and the oldest d5000

It can come down to how you plan on using it. I think the canon has a touchscreen and alot of features are in menus - same for the nikon 5000 series. Whereas the d7000 uses more buttons to control alot of features more quickly and has 2 function wheels. Also, I think, Canon's have been better at video than Nikons but when you look at different generations / models that all may vary.

jaomul has used both brands and close to the models you specified.
The Nikon d7000 is a higher specification camera than the Canon from what little I know. So as mentioned the Nikon d5000 series (like the d5200) is a better A/A comparison.

I have had a lot of Nikon, D90, D3100, D5100, D3200, D5200, D7000, D7100, D600, D610 and more than one of each :) , and i have never had a problem with focusing, i have also had a few Canon DSLR and unless you want a articulated touchscreen i would buy the D7000 over the 700D as the image quality is better and the D7000 is weatherproof and has very nice build quality, it feels great in your hands.

Canon EOS 700D versus Nikon D7000 - Side by side camera comparison - DxOMark

John.

Thank you both! Based on all the comments here it seems like the D7000 is the way to go! Thanks everyone [emoji4]

Feels great in his hands may not feel great in your hands. Other than that, good stuff.

Most reactions

Back