Nikon D750-"p" mode is slow and picture quality is off

Status
Not open for further replies.

aunt4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am first to admit I am still learning proper settings for my D750. I don't know what I've done but when using the "p" mode it is slow "snapping" when I take a photo. When the photo appears its as if it has a haze over it. The quality is just horrible. Any help on what to adjust? I am still learning and I've somehow messed something up. I appreciate any support!

It sounds as if the shutter speed is long so you're getting motion. Maybe go with the Aperture Priority (A) or Shutter Speed Priority (S). You will select one of the settings and the camera will match the other to the light meter.

This can also help you learn by seeing how different apertures and shutter speeds affect a photo.

In a nutshell (no flash) - aperture affects depth of field and shutter speed affects motion (faster stops it, slower shows it). Practice with a stationary subject and try different apertures (several things, one in front of others is good). The pick moving objects (cars driving by - stay safely away) and try different shutter speeds.

What the big white ours said. What lens are you using?

I am first to admit I am still learning proper settings for my D750. I don't know what I've done but when using the "p" mode it is slow "snapping" when I take a photo. When the photo appears its as if it has a haze over it. The quality is just horrible. Any help on what to adjust? I am still learning and I've somehow messed something up. I appreciate any support!
Were you getting satisfactory results in some other exposure mode and this just happened when you switched to "P"? Simply changing the exposure mode will not cause the problem you describe, so something else is going on that you're not telling us about. Rather than asking us to guess at every scenario, how about posting an example or two with the EXIF data so someone can actually help. Since you mention "haze", I have to ask whether you have a filter on the lens, or are shooting into the light? And by "slow snapping" (??), are you describing a slow shutter speed, or what?
Don't be embarrassed if you don't know the terminology to describe your issue - none of us knew anything about photography until we learned it!

Thanks everyone for responding. Here are just some sample images.

Attachments

• DSC_3688.jpg
    DSC_3688.jpg
    913.4 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_3922.jpg
    DSC_3922.jpg
    670.8 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_3546.jpg
    DSC_3546.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 57
In the 1st photo, the baby's eyes are not in focus, but the hand and front of the comforter are in focus, so the lens is front focusing. It was taken at ISO 1000, f/4 (max f/4), 1/250 sec, 105mm. Good settings. Very nice photo if it were sharp. In the 2nd shot, the model's eyes are not in focus nor are the letters on the t-shirt. It was taken at ISO 100, f/4 (max f/4), 1/10 sec, 65mm. I can't tell if the lens is front focusing, but the shutter speed is low and it could be camera shake. In the 3rd shot, the models eyes are soft, but the tree in front of the eyes is sharp, so again, front focusing. It was taken at ISO 100, f/4.5 (max f/4), 1/320 sec, 120mm. Good settings. Very nice shot BTW, beautiful model, great pose, excellent composition. You are obviously a very good photographer. Was it the same lens in all 3 shots? Is it a 3rd party lens?

What to do? All I can tell you is what I would do. I'd start by checking the lens. Set up a still scene, something with a full page of sharp text at about a 40 degree angle (high in the back, low towards the front) and something with texture. You want the text, like a magazine page, at an angle so you can see what is in focus and what is not. Tripod, remote release (or timer), ISO 100, wide open aperture, shutter speed to get a good exposure. AF-S, spot focus (note where your focus point is), matrix metering. Take 3 or 4 shots using the viewfinder and 3 or 4 shots in Live View. The viewfinder uses phase detect AF and Live View uses contrast detect AF. Phase detect is faster, but not as accurate. Contrast detect is accurate, but not as fast. My bet is you will see the AF is fine in LV, but front focusing with the viewfinder.

As far as sluggishness in p mode. That's probably a settings issue. Check and see if you are set to focus before releasing the shutter.

Sorry if I over stepped, but your profile does not say "NOT OK to edit". I wanted to see if that last image was salvageable. I took it into LrC, brightened it a touch, dehaze, clarity, slight s tone curve, but took it into Topaz Sharpen AI. Here's the result. It's such a beautiful image, it would be terrible not to be able to use it. I've deleted your images.

Attachments

• DSC_3546 Sharpen AI.jpg
    DSC_3546 Sharpen AI.jpg
    642.2 KB · Views: 55
In the 1st photo, the baby's eyes are not in focus, but the hand and front of the comforter are in focus, so the lens is front focusing. It was taken at ISO 1000, f/4 (max f/4), 1/250 sec, 105mm. Good settings. Very nice photo if it were sharp. In the 2nd shot, the model's eyes are not in focus nor are the letters on the t-shirt. It was taken at ISO 100, f/4 (max f/4), 1/10 sec, 65mm. I can't tell if the lens is front focusing, but the shutter speed is low and it could be camera shake. In the 3rd shot, the models eyes are soft, but the tree in front of the eyes is sharp, so again, front focusing. It was taken at ISO 100, f/4.5 (max f/4), 1/320 sec, 120mm. Good settings. Very nice shot BTW, beautiful model, great pose, excellent composition. You are obviously a very good photographer. Was it the same lens in all 3 shots? Is it a 3rd party lens?

What to do? All I can tell you is what I would do. I'd start by checking the lens. Set up a still scene, something with a full page of sharp text at about a 40 degree angle (high in the back, low towards the front) and something with texture. You want the text, like a magazine page, at an angle so you can see what is in focus and what is not. Tripod, remote release (or timer), ISO 100, wide open aperture, shutter speed to get a good exposure. AF-S, spot focus (note where your focus point is), matrix metering. Take 3 or 4 shots using the viewfinder and 3 or 4 shots in Live View. The viewfinder uses phase detect AF and Live View uses contrast detect AF. Phase detect is faster, but not as accurate. Contrast detect is accurate, but not as fast. My bet is you will see the AF is fine in LV, but front focusing with the viewfinder.

As far as sluggishness in p mode. That's probably a settings issue. Check and see if you are set to focus before releasing the shutter.
Thank you so very much! It is ok to edit. I am new to this forum and I need to change that setting! I am a photographer that has been self taught. I have a website and do sessions regularly but honestly when it comes to the fundamentals with settings I am clueless. I think I would see a difference in my images, my business, and would grow if I knew what I should know. I get extremely frustrated not knowing.

Thank you so very much! It is ok to edit. I am new to this forum and I need to change that setting! I am a photographer that has been self taught. I have a website and do sessions regularly but honestly when it comes to the fundamentals with settings I am clueless. I think I would see a difference in my images, my business, and would grow if I knew what I should know. I get extremely frustrated not knowing.
Pardon the obvious but do you have your camera's manual? I'd look into setting the AF sensor pattern. Try setting up "back button" focus rather than using the 1/2 press on the shutter. Do try aperture priority rather than program along with setting a reasonable auto ISO range. Above all, experiment and keep a few notes on settings that produce images you like.

Still curious what lens(es) you're using?

Pardon the obvious but do you have your camera's manual? I'd look into setting the AF sensor pattern. Try setting up "back button" focus rather than using the 1/2 press on the shutter. Do try aperture priority rather than program along with setting a reasonable auto ISO range. Above all, experiment and keep a few notes on settings that produce images you like.

There are some good points here. Most photographers who shoot portraits with dslrs use single point focus and lock focus on the eye closest to the lens. When using more focus points going outside of the eye, Nikons tend to select and lock on anything closest to the lens. Check to see you are on AF-C and single point focus. Hold in the button near the lens lock and use the main command dial to select AF-C and the sub command dial to select single point focus. As mentioned, download your user manual from the Nikon website for better directions.

So far the OP has refused to answer any questions. I'm not wasting any more of my time on someone who only pretends to want help! We get enough spam here as it is.

Another drive-by poster? Guess we're just big-hearted by nature...

At 100% you can see motion blur in #2. Look at the necklace and the highlights in the eyes.

Reset camera to factory settings and then start again by using settings from the many choices you can google.
I have the D750,D7500 & a D80 all of which I have set to BBF. You will not regret BBF, east to set up. Focus aways sharp.
danray

The OP's last visit was four days after this post was created. A reminder to all to check dates on the question-type posts before replying.

Closing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back