nikon fa meter is one stop different

I've checked my film cameras. With color film, I need to over expose by a stop or two, always. B &w is more forgiving but I try to over expose a stop. Is it the meter or is it the film? I don't know, they're pretty accurate against a hand meter or very close. I seem to be getting consistently better images this way. Just throwing it out there.
It's the photographer. There is more to exposure than just pointing a meter at the subject or letting the camera choose from the scene. Precisely where in the scene are you pointing the meter? With a hand-held meter I always point the meter significantly down rather than horizontally - this avoids too much sky but how much down has a big effect. With TTL metering I do the same but have to consider how that camera is metering and what in the scene has to be avoided while metering.

Then developing has an effect. For mono film, I use rather dilute developer and develop for a bit longer than recommended - gives me finer grain and more contrast but also changes the required exposure.

Most reactions

Back