Nikon Macro Lens and Portrait Lens?

BEST: in short - what you can afford and how you use it.
BEST: in long - I have Nikon 28-105mm glass that is over 10yrs old and LOVE IQ of it. It is both macro (50-105) and my portrait lens. Some reviews are horrible on it and others are great. Point is best is subjective to your flavor. (told you it was long)
HOW YOU USE IT: optimum aperture is 2-3 stops down from widest aperture. thus if you get your 2.8 glass and spend $1000+ on it but don't know how to use it correctly, you images will be soft :( and full of bokeh :)
Hope this slowly begins to make sense.
PM me if you'd like to talk more or have other specific Qs :)

I have read positive feedback on the Nikkor 60 2.8 D for both Macro and portraits, it looks like to be my next lens.

would a 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm be a good combo for every type of shot except for telephoto?

Last edited:
The Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 is probably one of the best for both worlds in one lens.

would a 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm be a good combo for every type of shot except for telephoto?
not for every type of shot, but that's a very good set of lenses. 35mm for full body shots, 50mm for bust shots and the 85mm for head shots.

Yea, it's hard to invest 600 in a pretty good 60mm macro...when you can save 400 more for the 105mm 2.8 VR :drool:

The Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 is probably one of the best for both worlds in one lens.

I just picked up this lens in MINT condition for $200 and I love it!!!!

Here is one of my first macro shots. Awesome, awesome lens.

DSC_2767.jpg

I have a 105mm f/2.8D model macro for about 10 years not. Absolutely top notch lens. Very good portrait lens on a full frame but may be a little long on a crop body (if you have a small area to work in).

The nice thing about the 105 is you dont have to be right on top of the items to get 1:1 ratio. With a shorter 60mm you in a bit closer. And of course the longer 200mm allows you to be a bit farther away. But would be a bit too long for portraits in normal situations.

So the 105mm in Nikon flavor would be a good choice for both if you have the room for the longer length (assuming you have a crop body).

Better said, you just STOLE that lens in mint condition for $200. ;)

Yea, it was a friend of mine. I told her to make me an offer I couldn't refuse. And she was right, I couldn't refuse that! :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back