Nikon Micro-Nikkor Macro lens? or Macro because of extension?

jumpontopski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, it is an older, pre-1977 Nikon-made macro lens. It goes to 1/2 life-sized at closest focus with the lens alone; when the PK-3 extension tube is added, the lens can then focus all the way down to 12:1 or "life-size". These are well-built lenses. I own two of them. They are often available cheaply. That lens should not be used on higher-end Nikon bodies; being a "pre-Ai" lens, it's lens aperture ring/barrel are "fat" in diameter and can harm higher-end Nikons' metering connections. This lens and tube WILL however, mount and work without damage on the baby Nikons: D3000-series, D40-series, and D5000-series, as well as the D60.

Nikon has long used the term "Micro~Nikkor" to label its normal, regular macro lenses.

Thanks Derrel for the great info! I have a 60D and am looking for cheaper alternatives for lenses. It seems like there are some good deals on eBay but I am always leary about what the true condition is of the lens since it is so easy to ruin a lens. My thoughts were if they have 100% feedback with a decent amount of sales and feedback I should be ok. Thanks again for your help!

Well, one good thing about macro lenses: MANY are bought, tried, then shelved, for years on end. Just looking at the photos, that specific lens appears to be in VERY good cosmetic condition. I know Nikkor lenses, and looking at the photos of it, I can literally SEE that that lens is ALMOST NEW in all the key wear/use indicators: engraving, rear mount,rear element,barrel exterior, focusing ring,etc.. It even has the "old-style" Nikon rabbit-ear lens cap!!! It is truly vintage, probably one-owner. The front element on the 55mm f/2.5 Micro is small, about the diameter of a dime, and it is wayyyyyyyyyy back inside the front filter threads...so far back that it's VERY hard to bump or touch it accidentally, and cleaning it is also kind of tough too, so...the glass is likely to be fine on the front. Rear element is easy to access, and much more-critical for image quality than the front.

These are decent lenses optically. Still. ANd I agree, 100% positive feedback counts for a LOT on e-Bay, in my experience. A lottta lotta lot.

Actually it's quite hard to ruin a well built manual focus lens.

Also, why so leary about buying on ebay??? Ebay/paypal will just about always side for the buyers and give you a refund outside of the control of the seller. The sellers return policy has no bearing on items that arrive not as described. Just make sure it's not listed "not working for parts."

Frankly I don't mind buying from sellers with a less than stellar feedback rating, as it scares bidders away and I get a better price. I also prefer it when they don't have a return policy, as that scares other buyers away. If the item arrives damaged or not as described the worst that can happen is I could be stuck with paying for return shipping.

I'll look at someone's feedback if it's not very high. There's a reason they're not at 100%. Either they're obviously shady, or (the vast majority of the time, it's) the buyers just aren't reading the listing.

What about AI conversions? Do AI conversions lower the value of the older lenses? Are AI converted lenses really safe to use on newer metered bodies?

Most reactions

Back