Nikon or Canon? (yes, i know its been asked a million times but....)

dan.rpo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, i know the question was asked numerous times, including myself just yesterday! However, in all of the threads that deal with this question, there is one person that says this, and one person that says that......so, for all biased reasons aside....this will be my first DSLR, my budget is about $650, my two choices, Nikon or Canon.

I was going towards the Nikon D60, until i read that there is no internal AF motor, making my future lens choices slim and expensive.

I am sure other Nikon models have the AF motor in the body, but which ones do?

What is the best Nikon for my budget, as well as the best Canon (i was leaning towards the XTi as the XSi is not worth the extra $$)

no biased answers please! thanks!

The D80 is the next step up with an in-body AF motor and not that much more than the D60.

Canon bodies don't have built-in AF motors, but Canon lenses have had lens AF motors since the 80s.

So, i know the question was asked numerous times, including myself just yesterday! However, in all of the threads that deal with this question, there is one person that says this, and one person that says that......so, for all biased reasons aside....this will be my first DSLR, my budget is about $650, my two choices, Nikon or Canon.

I was going towards the Nikon D60, until i read that there is no internal AF motor, making my future lens choices slim and expensive.

I am sure other Nikon models have the AF motor in the body, but which ones do?

What is the best Nikon for my budget, as well as the best Canon (i was leaning towards the XTi as the XSi is not worth the extra $$)

no biased answers please! thanks!

The best one is the one that you find that you like. Go to a good photography shop and try them out. Check out the features, layout of the controls and how if feels to you in your hands. There is no such thing as no biased answers to a question like this. We all choose our systems for a reason. That in and of itself makes us biased.

AF motor = auto-focus motor.

When Nikon started building autofocus technology into their products, they did by building a small motor into their camera bodies, which connected via a screwdriver-like coupling to the lens. Through various gearing, the motor would turn the focus ring for autofocus functionality. Nikon did this without changing the fundamentals of the lens mount, which is why you can still use old manual lenses from the 70's on Nikons newest digital bodies.

Canon did it very differently. When Canon moved from their manual system to autofocus (or EF, "electronic focus" in Canonese), they completely changed their lens mount. However, Canon built their EF motors into the lenses from the start, Nikon has only started building AF motors into their lenses in the last few years. The end result was that Canon had a faster AF/EF system for a long while and got the leg up on Canon where AF speed matters, but they completely obsoleted their manual systems.

It doesn't matter. They're both the huge heavy weights in the industry and you can't go wrong with any of them. The only deciding point, in my opinion, is whether you know anyone who uses a Nikon or Canon DSLR. If there's an opportunity for you to borrow their lenses, you should buy a body from that line.

My biased view is that Canon's DSLRs are a bit more affordable at the entry level, but other than that I can't see a big difference.

Most reactions

Back