Nikon Speedlights

smcaskil

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.crimesceneblog.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a strange question that I am hoping I can get an answer.

I have a D40X and was wondering what the best speedlight would be, the 600 or 800?

I know the speedlights are able to sync with some of the higher model Nikons but am unsure if they will with the D40X model.

I will mainly be using this for indoor flash photography in houses and such during the holidays.

you can use the SB-800, 600, and 400. Olde lights like the DX's won't work.

Cool, then I will be picking up the SB-600.

I know the 800 is a more powerful, more option-filled flash, but for now I think the 600 will work for me and I can always upgrade to the 800 later.

If you feel you will be upgrading it later, get the SB-800 now. It is a lot more powerful and you will be able to do more than with the SB-600. Better to spend it now, then purchase the 800 later... thats not economically wise.

I had a chance to put my SB-800 through a nice workout last night... and was very happy with the results. Battery life on cheap rechargeable batteries with the 5-battery setup was close to 200 pictures and ready times between flashes never went over 2 seconds (mostly under 1 second!).

Of course, it is your call.

Get the SB-600 now if you can't afford SB-800 yet, that way you can build up your skill. And there's a lot you could do with a SB-600 if you get it off-camera. Besides you could always use it together with SB-800. Win-win.

And there's a lot you could do with a SB-600 if you get it off-camera.

Ok, noob question time, are you saying that you can put the flash elsewhere besides on the camera and it will sync and flash with the camera?

Yeah, you just need a sync cord or a pair of pocket wizards (ka-chink!).

But long story short, read strobist here: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

That's the very reason I purged the idea of my budget to go with the D80. You can go off-camera right out of the box with Nikon's CLS, SB-600 or 800.

smcaskil: have a search around TPF for alternatives to pocket wizards. Several threads have mentioned IR triggers off ebay for ~$40USD.

That's the very reason I purged the idea of my budget to go with the D80. You can go off-camera right out of the box with Nikon's CLS, SB-600 or 800.
True, but it wouldn't work if you decide to get studio strobes later. Not a problem with pocket wizards, which I'm personally not getting yet (I'm happy with sync cord for now). :<

If you have a D80, D200 and a few other models, you can use Nikon's CLS, it works quite well and can fire off as many SB-600 and SB-800s as you own.

At one point, I was triggering 2 studio strobes for side fill, a Metz 800 for rear fill and my SB-800 as the front fill all wirelessly without pocket wizards or what not, but this was not using CLS and I had to manually adjust each flash for best effect (off camera flash is FUN!).

I've been doing some reading up on these lights and it seems the D40x has an option called iTTL that allows it to adjust the flash on the SB-600 and SB-800 lights.

Has anyone tried this and does it work well?

buy the 600, then later when you get the 800..use the 600 as a slave...tada!

but it wouldn't work if you decide to get studio strobes later.

Not always true. I have 2 110V studio strobes that are flash synch and work EXCELLENT with either my D200's on board flash or the SB-800. If I do not want them to affect the lighting, I just set them for 1/128th power output and shoot. VERY fast regen times too, never over 0.5 to 0.75 seconds in between flashes over and over as fast as I care to go in a portrait session.

Not always true. I have 2 110V studio strobes that are flash synch and work EXCELLENT with either my D200's on board flash or the SB-800. If I do not want them to affect the lighting, I just set them for 1/128th power output and shoot. VERY fast regen times too, never over 0.5 to 0.75 seconds in between flashes over and over as fast as I care to go in a portrait session.

There is a VERY big difference between flash sync and CLS, for instance the whole point of CLS in the first place which is wireless communication between flashes and camera, which allow full control from the camera and the ability to use TTL metering. No studio strobes currently work on CLS as far as I am aware. And also the counter arguement is the SB-600 and SB-800 can also be set to straight flash sync.

Anyway you're missing the moot point that the D40x doesn't not have a commander light, so realistically CLS is out of the question anyway.

smcaskil i-TTL is a method of through the lens metering. Your D40x flash already does this. The SB-600 and SB-800 support this too. What this means is that the camera can pick the exposure of the flash automagically. It is a default for all flashes, and in the absence of TTL you would have to set the flash to self metre in Automatic mode or Manually dial in the required flash power.

Most reactions

Back