Nikon Telephoto Zooms

rmh159

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm starting to eye up a telephoto zoom and have it pretty narrowed down to Nikon's 70-300 f4.5 VR or their 80-200 f2.8. There's about a $300 price difference with the 80 - 200 being on the higher end. Does anyone have any experience with both lenses? Would the VR compensate for the smaller max aperture? Any other advice is appreciated.

Depends on what you will be using it for. Indoor sports, such as basketball, or night time photography you'll want the f2.8.

I would go with the f2.8 myself.

I'd like to be able to use the lens in any situation but in reality 90% of my shooting is outdoors in daylight. That said I was looking at the two as if the VR on the slower lens would compensate for not having the 2.8 aperture of the faster lens, though I believe the 2.8 is just a flat out better quality lens and maintains the 2.8 through the zoom range.

VR only helps with camera shake, so if you're shooting a fast moving subject in low light, VR won't help you much.

I own the 70-200 VR and I used to own the 80-200 non-VR. Personally I would go for the faster aperature - but I like to shoot at very high shutter speeds and I also use it for weddings which is usually low light. I also know that the quality of the 80-200 is much better than the 70-300 which is a bit to plastic for my taste at that price. As mentioned above VR only helps with shake, it won't stop motion like a fast shutter speed.

My vote is to save up for the higher quality lens - you can always get a tele later if you need more reach.

f2.8 doubled is f5.6. this is only relevant if you use a doubler for a resultant f5.6 400mm lens and on a D body is 600mm at f5.6. I don't exactly recall what a 600mm f5.6 lens goes for but the worth of the f2.8 is... well, you get the point. ;) mike

Most reactions

New Topics

Back