Nikon Z6- my first impressions

Peeb

Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I sold and/or traded in a stack of other gear and took the benefit of the Nikon sale last weekend and picked up the Nikon Z6 with the 'kit' 24-70 f/4 s-mount lens. After some fidgeting with settings and figuring out how the new camera was (and was not) like my old Nikons, I feel pretty confident with the camera at this point. Pics will follow below. Here are my initial thoughts, good and bad:

*New toy! This is very important (to me). I won't pretend that it isn't fun to get a new toy.

*size and weight (tho I will admit that it is still not insignificant to carry around. It is, however, better than the Nikon DSLR cameras and lenses).

*WYSIWYG viewfinder. So nice to see real-time what a spin of the aperture command wheel will do to the image.

*Focus accuracy. I've heard some muttering that the AF accuracy was not class-leading, but it certainly is doing well for me.

*Focus peaking. So handy for manual focus shooting.

*IBIS. Very handy.

*low-light imaging. OK- my D610 was a full-frame low light monster, but the Z6 absolutely kills it. Just amazing. See pics below in a minute....

*Ergonomics and interface. This camera is just so ... Nikon. The button placements are convenient (mostly), and exactly where a person knowledgeable of the Nikon ecosystem would look to find them.

*New toy! Did I mention new toy?

NEUTRAL
* FTZ adapter- This works perfectly with my Nikon G-series lenses, but does not drive the autofocus on my Tokina 100mm f/2.8 lens (known issue). It DOES focus my Tokina 11-16 DX zoom. Older Nikon glass mounts and meters, but of course would not autofocus. I only rate it as a 'neutral' because it is oddly large, it can't focus all autofocus f-mount lenses, and it is relatively expensive if you don't get it as part of a package. I got it thrown for free, so I have that going for me, which is nice.

*Battery life- this is a neutral, rather than a 'dislike', because mirrorless cameras by design draw more current. Not a flaw, but a reality.

DISLIKES:
*Snapbridge. I kept reading that the old kludgey snapbridge experience was a thing of the past. Well ... no. for me, it still works sometimes, and does not work sometimes. Frustrating.

*One card slot. Ugh. I hate that omission. Just do. Would live to back up wirelessly real-time, but see 'snapbridge, above.

*Price. I got a super great deal and still spent a fair sum of cash.

SAMPLE SHOTS
A transparent and ethical reviewer would post all images SOTC, and let you see precisely what the camera rendered. Yeah, that's not gonna happen. ;) I will, however share with you some shots after some processing:

1. Miss Riley on the floor, at ISO 10,000

Miss Riley
by Peeb OK, on Flickr

2. Oklahoma Capitol at night (handheld- check out the car lights!)

Oklahoma Capitol at night
by Peeb OK, on Flickr

3. Bee, shot with adapted 200-500 lens

Bee on vitex
by Peeb OK, on Flickr

4. Door plate at the Oklahoma Judicial Center (ISO 16,000!)

Door at the Judicial Center
by Peeb OK, on Flickr

5. Misty sunrise

Misty trees, just before the rise
by Peeb OK, on Flickr

6. b/w

Fall fog, processed in BW
by Peeb OK, on Flickr

7. Moon

single shot of the moon, enhanced
by Peeb OK, on Flickr

Last edited:
The image quality looks very high to me. The 10000 ISO shot is quite impressive. 10000, he? The handheld night shot is quite impressive. I guess that is a real result of the Ibis system no?

Nice!

If I decided to go full frame within my budget I would look at the Z6 or Sony A7III.

Enjoy.

Well I haven't been on the forum for a while but peeked in to see what's new and its peeb with a new toy. Looks to me a very fine image maker and the 10,000 ISO looks amazing with sharp Clean detailed image.Congrats peeb and good luck with the new toy.

I love my Z6 as well, especially the new lenses!

I agree that Snap Bride should be way, way better. It lacks both functions and stability, and is just so bad that I don't bother.

My biggest complain about the Z6 is that not all settings can be stored as a user setting on the mode dial. I would love to save different release modes to my different modes. The same with the display info.

I also think that the light sensor that determine whether the screen or viewfinder is active should be less sensitive or that the sensitivity could be adjusted. I want the camera to switch automatically, but when I use the screen and the camera is on a tripod it often changes to the viewfinder if my body is casting shadow over the camera. It should also be easier to wipe off this sensor when it fogs up or gets wet.

But yeah, I still think this camera is amazing, and that it's way better than what reviews usually reflects.

Last edited:
Update the OP with a few more shots.

My biggest complain about the Z6 is that not all settings can be stored as a user setting on the mode dial. I would love to save different release modes to my different modes. The same with the display info.

I don't own one of these nor have I handled one but can you not save Shooting and Custom functions in one of the User Settings, U1, U2 or U3? From a quick peruse of the manual it looks like you can set up shooting and custom functions and then save them in a U mode.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 12.06.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 12.06.09 PM.png
    222.1 KB · Views: 188
I love my Z6 as well! My favorite camera that I've ever owned, period. Sold my D800, DF and all of my F-mount glass to make the move.
Here are some samples shots I've taken...

66707555_10155970532092531_9029733281695793152_o.jpg
77059372_10156214975257531_3752540285456875520_o.jpg
Marfa1.jpg
Marfa3.jpg
NOLA1.jpg
NOLA4.jpg
WT3.jpg
WT4.jpg
Alana_424.JPG

The color science on this camera is exceptional.

I have been really impressed with the photos I have seen from the Z6 shot from around 4000 ISO up to and including 10,000 ISO.

I have been really impressed with the photos I have seen from the Z6 shot from around 4000 ISO up to and including 10,000 ISO.
I have found it to be absolutely breathtaking. You can get away without a flash in so many more places with this camera!

It's clear to me that the Nikon Z6 is a low-light monster.

My biggest complain...

I don't own one of these nor have I handled one but can you not save Shooting and Custom functions in one of the User Settings, U1, U2 or U3? From a quick peruse of the manual it looks like you can set up shooting and custom functions and then save them in a U mode.
Yes, but a few settings are not possible to save, as for example release mode and display info.

In my case I have set up U1 for use on a tripod, I then want the display to show the level gauge and the release mode to be either single or delayed, but when I switch to U2 which I use for sports and wildlife I want release mode to be continues high and the the level gauge to go away as it blocks a lot of the viewfinder.

Both these settings have their own dedicated buttons so it's not a big deal, but it still would be nice to be able to save all the settings, not just most.

Most reactions

Back