Nikon zoom's

It dosen’t even need to be that badly damaged, you just need to drop it once and get one lens element inside to tilt or decenter, making the lens completely useless for pro work.

Not many want to get Nikon/Canon to fix an older lens, as it’s quite expensive to do so.

The most important part must be if you’ll ending up using it more, not if it delivers a reduced image quality, what good is a sharp lens if it just stays at home and collect dust. Sometimes portability is more important than image quality if it means you’ll actually use it. in this scenario you would need two potential more heavy lenses instead of one to cover the same range. And although these in theory would give better image quality and flexibility it comes at costs, it doesn’t sound to me that you’re willingly to pay that price.

I was just wondering, why would i buy the Nikon 24-120mm ($1100), compared to the 28-300mm ($800)?

What makes these lenses better than the other, covering the same focal length?
I mean, all camera settings being the same, and shooting in the same range of the two lenses, 28-120mm, would the images be different?

I own the 24-120mm, and love it, but would like to get out a little further.
I also have the 200-500mm, which I, also, absolutely love (can't take it off the camera!)! Just cant carry it all day.

I enjoy bird photography if that helps.
Thanks,
JT potter

If you want a "day carry lens," with reach for birds, but without the added weight of carrying the 200-500, then you are backed into the 28-300.
It will be a compromise; additional reach in one lens vs IQ and lens construction.
See if you can rent one for a weekend.

BTW, if you have the funds, there is a reason for having BOTH lenses in your "tool box."
If you are traveling for birds where you can only carry ONE lens, then you take the 28-300, for the reach, while still giving you a wide angle for travel photos.
If you are at home or in a scenario where you do not need the reach, or need the extra stop of speed, then you take the 24-120.
It is all about picking the best tool for the job.

I have lenses that overlap and duplicate each other, but each lens fills a specific need that the others cannot fill, or fill well.

A guy or gal can never own too many lenses.

If you are able to cover all the fields and scenarios your shooting at and own lenses that is left unused, I would make the bold claim you own to many.

If you are able to cover all the fields and scenarios your shooting at and own lenses that is left unused, I would make the bold claim you own to many.

There is never too many lenses :D
GAS assures that you will always want "just one more."

"See if you can rent one for a weekend."

Renting one,, I always forget about that!

"BTW, if you have the funds, there is a reason for having BOTH lenses in your "tool box.""

I will never give up the 200-500mm! Wish I knew how to post pic's, cause in my mind I got some beauty's!
Thanks for the reply, Looking into renting!
Jerry

Most reactions

Back