Nikon's Nifty Fifty f/1.8D

BTilson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Will this lens work on the D40 aside from lack of autofocus? I know about that, but can you still meter, use all exposure modes, etc?

Thanks!

Thanks! I did a quick search, but all I found was thousands of sites telling me that it didn't AF. Guess I didn't search hard enough. :p

Thanks Chris.

no prob, sorry if i sounded rude, i didnt intend to.. the nifty 50 is a huge topic on this forum, as well as the nifty 50 + D40 combo... you wont be let down by it.. i dont have one, but i've used one.. for whatever reason my nifty 50 has been on back order since july... even though i already paid.. so i just have to wait.

Hmm... maybe it'll be back in stock my Christmas. I think I'm gonna treat myself to one of those along with an SB-600 flash. I can't wait.

No prob on "sounding rude." I shamefully admit that I did NOT search the forum first. Just a bunch of random google pages. *smacks self on wrist* :p

Yes, it will work, but the lack of AF is quite annoying. I also have a film body (N75) and after taking it and my fifty 1.8 (or as they say in south central LA, "Fitty") and having a taste of AF, it was hard to go back to the D40. For this reason I am upgrading to the D70s. But if you really don't mind MF, then its a great lens that will meter with the D40.

Well I'm sure the lack of AF will get to me, but I think learning to use MF will be good for me. Plus you can't beat that lens for the price. Eventually I will be upgrading bodies, likely to a D300 or similar, and then I will have the luxury of AF with it.

chrisburke
should have ordered from adorama if it out of stock u can still order but they dont charge you for it till they ship

What is all thsi talk about metering mode? I don't get it o.o

Will this lens work on the D40 aside from lack of autofocus? I know about that, but can you still meter, use all exposure modes, etc?
Yes, it will meter.

ell I'm sure the lack of AF will get to me, but I think learning to use MF will be good for me.
No, and yes. Manually-focusing on the D40, in particular, is pretty easy because of the focus confirmation dot.

What is all thsi talk about metering mode? I don't get it o.o
Oy. You mean to say that you have a $1000 camera and don't know what "metering" is?

"Metering" is a function of the camera the detects ambient light and decides on the exposure settings, such as shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc., based on average lighting. Your metering "mode" determines which aspect of the metering you want to give priority to.

I ordered one for BH last week and had it in like 3 days. Have not shot much of anything with it yet though.

i dont have one, but i've used one.. for whatever reason my nifty 50 has been on back order since july... even though i already paid.. so i just have to wait.

You've been waiting since July for that lens? YIKES! Cancel your order and go elsewhere. It's in stock everywhere, no need to wait for it.

Most reactions

Back