No 553 VANITY FAIR® SEPTEMBER 2006

craig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
craigblank.com
400 pages of fashion, gossip, and mad genius. This years issue includes the Fashion Rocks supplement. I have been an avid subscriber to the mag for years. Suffice to say that the September issue is always highly anticipated. Biggest of the year.

Arguably it is a photography showcase. Inspired shots of Kate Moss. The Black Eyed Peas by Ellen Von Unwerth. A portfolio of actresses that can sing (Drew Barrymore, Rachel Wood, Lyndsay Lohan) by Annie Liebovitz. And of course the incomparable Mario Testino. Just to name a few. Oh yeah; and the stories are amazing.

What are your thoughts on VF? Their near 80% advertising may be a problem. On the other hand that photography is equally amazing.

On the other hand that photography is equally amazing.
Yup. VF is one the magazines that I go through for inspiration. There isn't much to read though.
Will keep an eye out for the Sep edition. Thanks C.

I post this thread once a year and I think once a year you are the only one who replies.

Actually the writing is amazing. If you can find it. Everything from 9/11 to Ballets Magic School by Michail Baryshnikov.

Inspiration is a matter of fact. I love Time and National Geographic, but some how working for VF seems attainable. I know for a fact no one is sending me to Iraq or to photograph whales. Working with the editors at VF would be a lot a lot cooler then that.

Hmmm...I tend to skip over overly thick magazines like Vanity Fair because I am a reader and can't stand when a magazine doesn't have anything to read! But, I admit, I've not really ever given it a shot and perhaps it might be worthy of looking through simply for photography inspiration.
However, My favorite magazine for photography inspiration is Interview. I just love how big it is and that even the stars you've seen a thousand times always look new and fresh when they photograph them. Plus, I actually love to read that magazine as well:)

Digital Matt & Craig- It is great to hear that you have the vision to look at magazines like VF & Vogue for inspiration. Not all photography is about birds & wildlife (don't start a whole new thread on THAT, you know what I mean!) These are like monthly books put out with the best photographers, art directors & creative visionaries of our time. It is beyond photographing celebrities. It is about creativity, shooting under pressure and continous reinvention. For the most part WE as PHOTOGRAPHERS create the celebrity by our art work. I am talking about photographers not "paparazzi" (That is another thread)

Annie Leibovitz ( my personal hero) continually puts out incredible images on a monthly basis because it is her drive & passion. Something we all share. She shares a lineage at VF with Herb Ritts, Helmut Newton and Harry Benson all the way to the mountain top owned by Richard Avedon.

No matter if we are shooting local weddings, church directories or working on becoming the next goldenchild in L.A, New York or Chicago we must continue to hone skills (not just amass a cool gear list) that can be shared on an international level like VF.

Most reactions

Back