No more hockey for me. :-(

Sharkbait

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitesharkphoto.com
Just had a friend send me this. They're killing pro (albeit minor league) hockey here in Indy. Guess that's the end of my dreams of becoming team photographer someday. :-( :cry: :cry:

Indy to lose pro hockey team
Ice will remain in name only; CHL plans to move franchise

No more pros

The history of professional hockey in Indianapolis:

1988-2004 -- Ice

1979-87 -- Checkers

1974-79 -- Racers

1955-62 -- Chiefs
1939-52 -- Capitals

April 13, 2004

Indianapolis will be without a pro hockey team next season for the first time since 1973.

The Indianapolis Ice will still be skating, but not as a Central Hockey League franchise, thus ending a pro legacy of 16 years with the Ice, eight with the Checkers (1979-87) and five with the Racers (1974-79).

The Ice's assets have become the property of Carmel land developer Paul Skjodt, who struck a deal with franchise owner Horn Chen of Chicago that will become official on May 1. Terms were undisclosed. The assets include the team nickname and the remaining three years of a five-year lease with the Indiana State Fairgrounds, where the Ice play at Pepsi Coliseum and have their office next to the Fall Creek entrance.

Citing contractual conflicts, Skjodt on Monday declined to divulge what team he is bringing in to replace the CHL franchise. The most likely candidate is the Danville (Ill.) Wings of the United States Hockey League, a 12-team development league for 20-and-under amateurs.

"The CHL franchise is leaving town, but there will be a new franchise playing in Pepsi Coliseum," said Skjodt, 45, who came to town in 1987 to play with brother Charlie on the Indianapolis Checkers. "The name is going to continue. It's just that the other stuff isn't done yet."

USHL president Gino Gasparini said he has heard the speculation about Danville, which is still competing in the playoffs. He expects the league board to meet in the near future about as many as three possible team relocations after this season.

"That's a possibility," he said of Danville, "but nothing is final yet. Honestly, nothing can be said at the request of (Wings owner) Lou Mervis."

Mervis could not be reached for comment.

The Ice office is undergoing renovations this week and employees, most of whom have signed confidentiality agreements, were given the week off. Skjodt said he intends to retain most of the Ice staff. Two who won't be back are general manager Larry Linde and coach Ken McRae.

"It's difficult for all of us," said Linde, whose Ice run began as an intern in the team's second season. "There's been a lot of blood, sweat and tears poured into the organization, from the employees to the fans to the corporate sponsors. It was a labor of love.

"Paul brings a tremendous amount of knowledge and passion for the game and resources that haven't been available in the past. But at the end of the day, it wasn't something that Ken McRae or I chose to be a part of."

The Ice have drawn criticism since 1999, when Chen left the now-defunct International Hockey League after $3 million in losses over four seasons and moved to the CHL. The IHL was affiliated with the National Hockey League. The CHL was not. Before that next season, Chen sold the Ice to a local ownership group led by auto entrepreneur Gary Pedigo. After two seasons, Pedigo sold the team back to Chen.

"I want to thank all of our loyal fans and corporate partners for their great support during my 14 years of ownership," Chen said in a release distributed by Skjodt. "I'm excited about the future of hockey in Indianapolis. Hockey has a terrific 65-year history in this great sports city. With Paul Skjodt's commitment and passion for the game, I know fan and community support for hockey is going to grow in Indiana."

But Skjodt faces a challenge. Even when the Ice won the 1999-2000 Miron Cup in their inaugural CHL season, the Ice lost money after performance bonuses were paid. While the losses were minimal compared to the IHL days, they continued through the past two seasons, when McRae led the Ice to the playoffs.

"I have a real passion for the sport of hockey and I know the Ice have great fans. I'm one of them," said Skjodt (pronounced Scott).

Skjodt, the son-in-law of Pacers co-owner Mel Simon, spent 10 years as a volunteer youth hockey coach and has also coached at the pro level in Europe.

At least one of the Ice's 1,500 season ticket holders was shocked to learn of his favorite team's fate.

"This is not going to go over well with the fans," said John Maxey, a season ticket holder since 1996 and Ice booster club vice president. "It would be nice if they let the fans know. A lot of us have credits toward next season."

Maxey suggested he will go elsewhere to see pros play.

"I'll be willing to drive two hours to Fort Wayne," he said of the United Hockey League's Komets, "to see real hockey."

Sorry to hear that. Now you are going to have to watch some boring sport like baseball or basketball.

I always liked the Racers, because that's where we got Gretzky. My favourite trivia question is "Against what team did Gretzky score his first professional goal?" Highlight -->
The Edmonton Oilers in the WHL, before they merged into the NHL

We have been holding on to our Edmonton Oilers like grim death for the last few years. We might still loose them if they don't fix the CBA. We are nothing more than a farm team as it is now anyway.

My condolences :cry:

The CBA was exactly what I was thinking of...

You may be missing your team at the same time we're all missing our various NHL pro teams, too! So much for watching hockey :roll:

Rumors have been rampant around these parts that if something isn't done soon, the NHL will be VERY different, as early as next season.

I have heard everything from no hockey next season to restructuring, to going back to only 16 teams, and various others.

Not being in an area where hockey gets much air time, I'd like to know if anyone else has heard these, and which are more likely?

Basically, if they players union and the owners don't come to a contractual agreement during the off-season, there will be no start to the next season. Rumors basically say that there are a lot of salary related items which so far have not been agreed to, and from what I have read, they aren't really even close to an agreement.

This has a quick little write-up on the situation

http://www.sportsfansofamerica.com/Interactive/Editorials/Hockey/NHLCBA.htm

Get ready for a lock out. There are a lot of reports of players getting ready to play overseas if it happens, at least on a temporary basis.

Good, Lock em out i say..... There all European foriegners and canadians anyways LOL :p
LONG LIVE BASEBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although i must say, being a baseball fan, i am no stranger to labor agreements and crappy lockouts. :(

Most reactions

Back