Noob with D3100 & angry wife...HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make her happy, give her the camera, she won't be able to be mad at you and she will learn quicker...
I know I am a wife!

Agreed! Or you can still bring her old camera so you won't miss out on any shots and have her take her new DSLR to practice with it!

^^^^^^ Seems you are running into problems with all the photographer who know what they are doing....why is that, maybe misinformation on your part.

lol certainly that must be it :lmao:

^^^^^^ Seems you are running into problems with all the photographer who know what they are doing....why is that, maybe misinformation on your part.
Reading his posts around the forum, I get the impression that he's playing photographer on the intertubez, but is in reality full of it ("it" being misinformation, as you pointed out).

I would LOVE to see his AWESOME action shots of sports at 1/125 @ 200mm without even a monopod in play, since he's stated he doesn't have one, and just bought a tripod that has a loose, wobbly head, and had to ask if that's normal. LOL!!! I mean, c'mon. The guy tries to come off like a knowledgeable pro, but then keeps giving it away that he's pretty close to clueless, other than what he's picked up in conversation around here or possibly elsewhere on the internet.

I'm just not buying it, and I've got this particular bug up my butt over people who pass around bad information that causes me to write posts that challenge them on it. I guess that makes me a bad person, at least in the eyes of those being challenged. But I can live with that.

^^^^^ Buckster you are a very bad man because you speak the truth...imagine that. I know I am going to call him out every time he comes up with BS answers to those that do not have a clue... I know this type, i grew up in NY so I take no prisoners...you be good now Buckster, OK

^^^^^ Buckster you are a very bad man because you speak the truth...imagine that. I know I am going to call him out every time he comes up with BS answers to those that do not have a clue... I know this type, i grew up in NY so I take no prisoners...you be good now Buckster, OK
10-4, and roger that. LOL!

Reading his posts around the forum, I get the impression that he's playing photographer on the intertubez, but is in reality full of it ("it" being misinformation, as you pointed out).

I would LOVE to see his AWESOME action shots of sports at 1/125 @ 200mm without even a monopod in play, since he's stated he doesn't have one, and just bought a tripod that has a loose, wobbly head, and had to ask if that's normal. LOL!!! I mean, c'mon. The guy tries to come off like a knowledgeable pro, but then keeps giving it away that he's pretty close to clueless, other than what he's picked up in conversation around here or possibly elsewhere on the internet.

I'm just not buying it, and I've got this particular bug up my butt over people who pass around bad information that causes me to write posts that challenge them on it. I guess that makes me a bad person, at least in the eyes of those being challenged. But I can live with that.

right. Because you can't shoot an 80-200 at 80mm. And because my starting point of f2.8, A mode, bump the ISO was clearly defective.

And I've clearly been giving advice on the use of a tripod left and right on here. Every other post. It's not possible that someone could have knowledge and experience in one area and is learning in some other area.

And I said, and I will repeat for those borderline autistics who seem to get stuck on their first misreading, "as a starting point". AS A STARTING POINT. WHAT PART OF "AS A STARTING POINT" IS SO HARD TO ACCEPT? It is perfectly possible to shoot little league basketball at 80mm and f1/125 in a well lit gymnasium and get plenty of usable shots. Shooting the NBA in the dark at 200mm? nope. Is every shot guaranteed to come out great? nope. but then... wtf am I doing... why am I even responding to this...

No no you go right ahead and ride my ass instead of actually contributing with useful information which is helpful to the OP.

sheesh.

An old saying comes to mind: "Methinks thou doth protest too much."

Just stop. You're embarrassing yourself.

The way you guys are treating someone NEW at photography is just sad!!! Does he truly NEED to be called out and given your word that what you are saying is the must and absolute of all photography because you say so?? He was ASKING for advice (the OP) and most of what he was getting is that he is inadequate and basically should not be in photography as a hobby. Just sad and frankly pathetic.

To the OP. You got some good advice mized in with the crap.. Please do not take to heart what the crap is dishing out here.. and keep up the hobby :)

Alrighty then!!
I see this has gone off the rails a bit.My intention was to get ideas on learning a few tips on taking better shots w/this new camera.And I've gotten tons of tips(thanks again one & all)..What I've really learned is read,then re-read,the manual.Then read it again.I was completely lost on some of the terminology you all were using.By going back & forth between advice given to me here,then learning how(from the manual) to change the camera manually to the settings you advised,its becoming more familiar to me now.By manually dialing in the aperture & shutter speed to the enviorment I'm in & I'm getting closer to taking better pics.While I will shoot more pics in the gym,I'm steadily practicing in many different conditions.One thing the kit lens seems to love are stills in the woods in mid afternoon.You guys have been a huge help(so has the manual)! Please keep the tips coming.

Your rookie in training,
Jay

P.S.-Be on the lookout for my new thread about a better lens lol

Well that was entertaining for sure. NY, do to your lack of posts along with lack of signature that shows us your "rig" I am going to have to agree with buck here on this one. You have nothing to backup anything you say, how can you possibly shoot 1/125 in A mode with NO tripod.. sorry one with a wobbly head. tis not the possibles.

Well that was entertaining for sure. NY, do to your lack of posts along with lack of signature that shows us your "rig" I am going to have to agree with buck here on this one. You have nothing to backup anything you say, how can you possibly shoot 1/125 in A mode with NO tripod.. sorry one with a wobbly head. tis not the possibles.

I don't need to dangle my equipment to back up what I say. What I say either makes sense, or it doesn't. Or maybe it's close and a tweak or two gets it there.

But just to respond to YOUR brilliant statement, you don't set the shutter speed in A mode, you set the aperture, (and hopefully you make a reasonable choice or ISO, and the camera pick the shutter speed. And while I see you claim to have bought some camera equipment, I don't see a link to YOUR portfolio either. So to use your logic, you must be completely FOS as well?

Back to the original premise for the reading and/or attention impaired...

Also, when shooting sports, make sure you're at the max aperture. Always.

That usually means A (aperture priority) mode.

NYCphotography, I disagree and agree. Wide open ap is great for sports photography, however, if the shooter were to use A (aperture priority mode) he could possibly get super slow, awful shutter speeds and ruin the whole shoot. It would be better to work in S (shutter priority mode). Set a motion stopping shutter speed and let the aperture fall where it may. Zoom your telephoto lens and get depth of field with the zoom and not the aperture.

In that scenario, I'd meter the darkest shot I expect to encounter, and set the ISO so I'm shooting 1/125 at f2.8. That may mean 1600, 3200 or even 6400 ISO. Yes that may be noisy, but I can "remove noise (various filters) -> add blur -> downres -> sharpen" in post to fix that. It may also mean the addition of a monopod for camera stability. I find that high ISO works fine when you know you're going to downres for display. But I'd really have to be there in the venue in order to figure it out. What I think I'm going to do doesn't always work in the real world, so it's good to have a plan B or C.

I guess we both get to the same place, just each do it in our own way. And it's good to know all the ways possible.

Leaving the camera in A mode, setting the ISO per the meter reading of the DARKEST place in the gym, means that the SLOWEST shutter I'd use is 1/125. I'd expect to have 2-3 stops of variability between the darkest shot and the center of the court, so I'd expect to get a faster shutter most of the time.

But as the OP, with a 80-200 lens at f2.8, yes I would hope to get some usable shots. Maybe I'd be disappointed, but I think I'd get some good ones. Would I get Sports Illustrated coverage of every second of the game with every razor sharp frame coming out perfect? Of course not. But I'm not shooting under NBA quality lighting, and I don't have that requirement (SI editor on my back) either. All I need, all I want, is a couple decent shots of my kid playing basketball. I know I can get a couple decent shots at 1/125 on a 80-200 lens. I know it's possible.

And yes, I don't often use a tripod. Do you shoot sports on a tripod? I don't shoot much sports, it's not my thing. But the little I have done, the last thing I wanted was to be tied down with a tripod. My tripod got broken a few years ago because it always just sat in my car with all my other gear piled on top of it. By not using a tripod, you learn to have a fairly steady hand, btw. And you also learn what you can and can't "get away with" when the need arises.

So now I'll actually have go dig through my unprocessed files and find something I've shot that proves that it's possible. What a joke.

I found one... From the NYC camera expo a couple years ago. SOC JPG (resized only)

GH1. f5.6 (kit lens, widest available across full zoom). APERTURE PRIORITY. 1/100s. ISO 800. 41mm (82mm FX, or 61mm DX)

Sounds like I did EXACTLY what I recommended as a starting point. Bump the ISO, A mode wide open.

Here's the shot.

$bike1-soc-1200px-P1020041.jpg

Sports Illistrated? Nope. Good enough for a scrapbook? I'd think so.

So yall can just sit down and STFU already.

I don't need to dangle my equipment to back up what I say. What I say either makes sense, or it doesn't. Or maybe it's close and a tweak or two gets it there.

But just to respond to YOUR brilliant statement, you don't set the shutter speed in A mode, you set the aperture, (and hopefully you make a reasonable choice or ISO, and the camera pick the shutter speed. And while I see you claim to have bought some camera equipment, I don't see a link to YOUR portfolio either. So to use your logic, you must be completely FOS as well?

Thank you for misunderstanding my statement, and for the condescending reply. I was saying how can you possibly shoot at 1/125 and have your camera set to Aperture priority, with no tripod/tripod with a wobbly head, and expect good results. As for my "portfolio" you can either check out my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/bramvandenboomphotography or you can check out my Flickr, which by the way I can no longer add to. Flickr: bramvandenboom2011's Photostream there is my so called portfolio, I have yet to take the time to actually pull together my best but this is what I think is good enough to post and share. Also, you said FOS "as well" so you're admitting to being FOS. Good to know =) I however, am not FOS. Thanks for your kind response. Also I forgot my MM page for what its worth, haven't added to this in awhile either. http://www.modelmayhem.com/1912864 enjoy =)

Last edited:
Thank you for misunderstanding my statement...

I dunno, I think I understood "how can you possibly shoot 1/125 in A mode with NO tripod" perfectly, and responded with a pretty good example of how its possible ;-)

Anyhow, thanks for posting your work.. I'll look at it later when I get home.

And no hard feelings for any of the blowhards here... myself included. We all just get too worked up over these petty details.

When I get home, I'll dig up another shot I took with the same camera when I was able to plan a setup.
I guess I'll scrape some stuff together and post in the gallery here as well. MM burped and lost my portfolio... they swear they will restore it... I'm waiting to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back