Noobie here, but I have a few questions.

paulle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm still learning the ropes to photography and I've been called upon by my school to take some pictures for our tennis team. Basically just individual pictures of the players and serves. I was just hoping to see what lens are good for this condition (hot&sunny) and what settings should I be prepared to use?

I've only got a Canon XTi with a 50mm f/1.8 lens, but looking towards to buying another one for sport events. Is a 70-300mm good for this or would I need another lens?

Thanks!

(any other tips and suggestions are appreciated) :D

I'm still learning the ropes to photography and I've been called upon by my school to take some pictures for our tennis team. Basically just individual pictures of the players and serves. I was just hoping to see what lens are good for this condition (hot&sunny) and what settings should I be prepared to use?

I've only got a Canon XTi with a 50mm f/8 lens, but looking towards to buying another one for sport events. Is a 70-300mm good for this or would I need another lens?

Thanks!

(any other tips and suggestions are appreciated) :D

For individual shots of the players, your 50mm is just fine. By the way, it's f/1.8, not f/8.

My suggestion is that you open up the lens to perhaps f/2 to f/2.8. Make certain that you have a sufficiently high shutter speed to give you a good exposure. (It might not be possible to open up that wide.) Opening up the lens will get your subject clear but the background blurred.

A 50mm might be a tad difficult to get the serve shots in, unless you do some major cropping, but then you are stuck with a smaller size photo. The 70-300mm you speak of would do the trick nicely. A good fast lens (f2.8) would do the trick so you can fill the frame from a distance and keep a faster shutter speed to reduce the shake. Although a touch of blur on the player's swing would make a nice impact. For the time being look into lens rentals in your area. Professional lenses used for sports can help keep the cost down.

I just want to use the 50mm lens to take pictures of the players individually and use another lens to take pictures of the action. What else would I need with the 70-300m?

Most reactions

Back