Northern Gannets, RSPB Troup Head

birdbonkers84

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Was looking through my RSPB Troup Head folder (from May) in preparation for heading up again next weekend (weather permitting) and managed to find these photos that I've not shown before.

1. Northern Gannet in flight with eye contact
Northern Gannet in flight with eye contact by Mark Coull, on Flickr

2. Carrying nesting material
Northern Gannet carrying nesting material by Mark Coull, on Flickr

3. Hovering
Hovering close-up by Mark Coull, on Flickr

4. Looking around
Northern Gannet in flight by Mark Coull, on Flickr

5. Meerkat moment
DSC_7174 by Mark Coull, on Flickr

6. Pruning ones self
Gannet pruning itself by Mark Coull, on Flickr

7. Doesn't look impressed
DSC_7484 by Mark Coull, on Flickr

8. Mid flap
DSC_7208 by Mark Coull, on Flickr

Last edited:
These were shot with my D7100 + my Tamron 150-600mm, my second attempt at trying out BIF photography hand held. As zombie/zombiejr will agree Gannets are amazing birds to watch in flight and they are so fast and I love there facial expressions.

Still unsure how to process these, apart from the basic camera correction and brightening of the eyes. I'm still playing around with LR/PS and recently Googles free version including Define 2. Think I overlooked these because I was in-experienced with this type of photography and didn't really appreciate them, until now. I really like the preening photo as I always try to get a shot whereby the birds are showing some personal characteristics or emotion.

I would say Gannets are my favourite seabird very very closely followed by Puffins.

Anyone else have a favourite seabird?

Coulld, these look pretty good to me, from a processing point of view. My only comment would be to be a bit careful about the crop - 1, 2, 3 and 4 are cropped a little too tight for me, but then maybe I am just too picky. :biggrin-93:

WesternGuy

Very nice. Since you have a ton of shots of these guys and pretty close shots as well, are they similar to gulls where they are everywhere and are not skittish so you can get fairly close?

Very nice. Since you have a ton of shots of these guys and pretty close shots as well, are they similar to gulls where they are everywhere and are not skittish so you can get fairly close?

Thanks, you can get to within roughly 5 meters of them before they move, they have colonies at RSPB Troup Head, Isle of May and Bass rock in Scotland and then can be seem migrating to their colonies around the coasts of Scotland. They also have colonies at RSPB Bempton cliffs in England and Grassholme in Wales. Would love to see them at ground level diving into the sea.

They are everywhere where they nest and tend not to be skittish while nesting but they may be more skittish if they are not on/near there nest

Coulld, these look pretty good to me, from a processing point of view. My only comment would be to be a bit careful about the crop - 1, 2, 3 and 4 are cropped a little too tight for me, but then maybe I am just too picky. :biggrin-93:

WesternGuy
That's alright WesternGuy, appreciate the comment.

Great set and yes the gannets are amazing birds they are my second favorite bird they are following closely behind my favorite bird the puffin

Great set and yes the gannets are amazing birds they are my second favorite bird they are following closely behind my favorite bird the puffin
Maybe one day you'll take a trip to Scotland to visit the many Puffin and Gannet colonies here. Bass rock having the largest gannet colony in the world ;).

They are just about the most intense bird I have seen posted ( I have only seen them here ) because of those eyes. I love seeing pics of them. Thanks for these!

They are just about the most intense bird I have seen posted ( I have only seen them here ) because of those eyes. I love seeing pics of them. Thanks for these!

Yeah, these guys have moved to the top of my list. Unfortunately its about a 14 hour trip for me to the east coast. One day.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back