Nosie reduction software

Marc32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for an editing software that would help with noise reduction. I was referred to Corel's Paintshop Pro X3 Ultimate. I have never heard of this one and was wondering if anyone had ever used it and what your thought were? I'm not looking for anything too complicated or involved. Something to help the photos along a little, easy to use and on a reasonable budget. Full fledged Photoshop is out of the question for cost and complexity of use. Any suggestions?

Yep, and entire books have been written about it.

Noise reduction is just one side of a coin. The other side is image sharpening.

PSP X3 Ultimate is Corel's equivelent to the complex, full fledged, professional grade of Adobe Photoshop CS5.

I'm partial to Imagenomics Noiseware Pro and Topaz Lab's DeNoise, But I mainly use Photoshop CS 5's ACR 6 Sharpening panel a lot, because it has both luminosity noise reduction and color noise reduction right there in the panel.

Last edited:
Most often I use LR's NR sliders. At time I go back to CaptureNX2 (I feel its a bit more accurate). Nik's NR, forgot its name, does a very good job as well.

Photoshop Elements 8, or the newest version 9, have much of the flexibility and most of the features of their top end CS5; including noise reduction, at a fraction of the price ..

For free, you can download the community version of Noiseware. At it's default settings, it will do a good job of preserving detail, provided the noise is no more than moderate. Beyond moderate noise, I'm not sure if any NR software can preserve a sufficient amount of detail to make the pic usable. Personally, I was never impressed with the native NR in CS2 or CS4. I've always found third party software to be much better. I don't know how good it is in the current iterations of the Adobe family of fine products.

Most reactions

Back