Not sure what to buy first, help!!

avilamillar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This are the things i want to buy but i dont have enough money to buy them all, i can buy only one:

Nikon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6
Manfroto 055XPROB & 488RC2 head
Nikon 60mm f/2.8 micro used (ill need to sell my 55mm f/3.5 micro)

Thanks

Can you tell us more about your shooting? What do you tend to shoot? Your wish list has some variety, so knowing what you are shooting will help. For example, you really do not have a fast lens nor a true zoom. If you shoot more low light indoor stuff, the fast glass may payoff. Otherwise, a telephoto zoom like the 70-300 you mention may be a better option.

ok i REALLY like macro photography but i also want a zoom lens because i only have a macro lens and the 18-55mm, so i think i would get the zoom lens before the fast lens, but what about the tripod? whats better first, lens or tripod??

I'd get the zoom lens then a tripod. The zoom will give you way more versatility.

I have a targus tripod (20dlls) but its not good.

maybe thats what im going to do, first the zoom lens then the tripod.

Should i change my 55mm f/3.5 for the 60mm f/2.8? the reason i want to change it is because with the 55mm i need the extension tube to focus 1:1 and with the 60mm i dont. with the extension tube i cant focus to infinity. also the exposure meter doesnt work with the 55mm.

thanks

i suggest get the zoom since you already have a macro lens

then just replace it when you get the green :p

Hmm if your going for that Sigma Zoom then do yourself a big favour and spend alittle more getting the APO edition of that lens. Its newer and the APO lens coatings give a noticable boost to the lenses sharpness (esp at the longer focal lengths). It's well worht the little extra I feel.

I must second overread's suggestion--buy ONLY the APO version of that Sigma zoom. The subject of the lower-priced Sigma versus the non-APO model has come up many times on many forums, with dozens of users having returned the non-Apochromatic model in favor of the APO model.

the APO version is about $210 right now I think it is; that's a reasonable amount of money to spend for a lens of that specification,and from the actual images I have seen, the APO Sigma is a better lens than Nikon's older 75-300 model and also the Sigma is better than the 70-300G, which would be Nikon's last directly competitive model with the Sigma.

Yep that red ring round the end is worth paying for ;) :)
But yah the scary thing is that the sharpness difference even at websize was noticable when zoomed out to the 300mm end.
Its a good allrounder lens and even has 2:1 macro support as well (and on a tripod it does 2:1 macro very well I found of its older non-APO edition)

Most reactions

Back