What's new

Nurnberg Stonecutters

  • Thread Starter Thread Starter Iron Flatline
  • Start date Start date
I

Iron Flatline

Guest
Hi all.

I had to go down to Nurnberg in Bavaria to visit a Stonecutter Plant. Most pics turned out crap, and I won't get a chance to get back, but here's three I like.

All shots made with the Leica M8 and a 28mm Elmarit f/2.8 ASPH, shot at 1/45th, f/5.6 at ISO 320.

First one - looking down the huge warehouse with sun spilling in from the top. Those are not hay-bails, pieces of carton, or piles of wood - those big boxy things are uncut blocks of granit:

Nurnberg%20and%20Stone%20Cutters%20066.jpg



Second one - a big stone saw, at rest:

Nurnberg%20and%20Stone%20Cutters%20073.jpg



Third one - the big stone saw, in full action. Noisy! You do NOT want to walk into that thing! See if you can spot the laser guidance system...

Nurnberg%20and%20Stone%20Cutters%20070.jpg
 
I like #1, the sunrays are particularily catching :wink:
 
Whoa, interesting/cool to see how they cut the granite. The heat that's generated to cut through such blocks of stone (and the noise) must be phenomenal. I too really like that first shot, with the rays of sunshine visible.
 
The Leica M8 ------------------------- WOW!

Gulp!

I must first process this knowledge about you... :pale:


And now I can show you where I spotted the laser guidance thing on that stone saw:

Iron_Nurnberg20and20Stone20Cutters2.jpg


Am I right?

And like the others I also like the first best of all, those rays really add something "poetic" to the normality of a large, loud, dusy work place.
 
LOL, yeah, that would be the laser.

Re. M8: Yup, I'm one of those people...

But about the first shot - does it ruin for you if I tell you it's the fork-lift driver's ass sticking out from behind it while he's bending over to fix something?

It does for me...

Unfortunately I did not have a lot of time to take pictures, or to wait for the perfect shot. I was pretty angry at the guy I had to deal with down there, the whole trip ended up being a pretty big waste of time... but I kept having to stop yelling at him to get my shots. He was very confused by the big important client in a suit who had a briefcase in one hand, and a camera in the other (strap around the wrist.)

"Wait, wait, I want to get this shot... now explain to me WHY you can't deliver by the end of August??"

Very surreal moment for me, no question....
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom