Odd Couple

dab_20

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Haha, I had no idea what to title this.

Critique please. A photo of my pony and baby pygmy goat.

minnesota221copy.jpg

Here's the original..
minnesota221.jpg

A lot of dead space is making for a boring picture. Fill the frame.

Also the interaction seems to be between you, the horse and the goat. More interesting would be how they respond to each other exclusively.

I find very little to pick at here. The black and white conversion works pretty well. The color version has a fairly strong magenta cast. I played with the color in graphics software; selecting a white point from the goat's ear, and black point from the dark spot under his chin corrected the color cast pretty well. The green grass really stood out to me then, but desaturating the green channel toned it down pretty well.

It looks like the pony is looking at you, but not much you can do about that.

Dead space doesn't bother me, but you could try a closer vertical crop showing just the critters' faces.

Other than that, it looks good to me.

"friends first meeting" maybe?? :)

The B&W works very well with this image and imo humble opinion gives the image more depth

The colour is better than the black and white. All that is necessary is a little colour correction away from magenta, brightening the eyes of the pony a little, brightening the very dark areas of the skin/hair and adding a little sharpening with a brush selectively in some areas.

skieur

color doesn't work, the BW edit is nice

well... you have in your sig that your pics are ok to edit so I tried:

untitled-1.jpg

crop + sharpening

Thank you all for your opinions and advice. I really do like that crop better, mentos_007. I wasn't sure how I wanted to crop it so I left it the way it was. Thanks again.

mentos 007 has the right idea. BandW is soooo much better.

I don't mind the "dead space". I do agree with having them gazing at one another instead of you, BUT it's not like you can tell the animals to look at eachother! I prefer the black and white conversion is much stronger than the colour. My one negative comment would be that it seems to me that it's a little soft Perhaps that's the look you were going for. Myself, I like sharp focus, but that's neither here nor there!

I love Mento's version.
I know it's weird, but I miss the ears of the horse. (The ears of a horse pretty much give the emotion of the horse.)
It's a darling photo either way though. The goat makes it.
Nice job and thanks for sharing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back