Off Camera Flash 1st attempts

vipgraphx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a couple of photos I would like to share with you for some lighting help. I went out yesterday evening and got a sb-700 for the D750. On the way home I took a few pictures of my son ( nothing special ) wanting to test out. Its been a long long time since I have done any off camera photography and I am very rusty and never mastered lighting to begin with.

Looking at this picture I thought it would been cool if I had another flash behind him and even maybe to the side other side of him. I think it would help with eliminating hard shadows on his arm. What could I have done to improve this lighting. I would like to take my kids out for some off camera portraits but need to get better first. Its trial and error for now and I know I can get to a better understanding of how to set up the lighting to accomplish what I am looking for.

The original image was a lot brighter but I processed this photo to practice of what I am trying to accomplish

zion flash 3 by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

Next is something I did this morning. It took be a few attempts and I had no idea what to do or what I was going for, this is just the end result of trial and error and some PS processing. Still I am sure I could have done something better..

costumre freddy by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

CC please if you have the time. Thanks

were you using a raw flash or any kind of diffuser? Also I know he probably has a hilighter green shirt, but I would have preferred if his face was more well lit. My focus is drawn immediately to his shirt, and not his face. A rim light or fill would've helped, but you can do a lot with a single flash, or a single flash + reflector.

So i'm still working with flash stuff too (i've spent a lot of time just learning and getting a feel for it, and am still a huge newbie), so take my advice with a grain of salt.

But from what i've gathered, for portrait stuff:
-you want the flash at (at minimum) or above the subjects eyes.
-You want the face to be the brightest (but not blown out) part of the picture so that you're attracted to that part of the picture, but in most cases you'd want it to be subtle.
-You want there to be catch lights (reflections of the lightsource) in the subject's eyes

But playing with flash is super fun. Have your son just stand there, and move your flash around him at incrementing angles, heights, and distances from him. I did, and it helped me really get a hold on where to put light.

When the flash goes off the cam, it never go back !
The lightning is great for a first series, But I just think that you over édit your picture in post to give them that ... look, I would slack a bit on these effect.

Thanks for the advice! I will continue to work on it. I would like to buy another flash and not sure what direction to go. Should I get another SB-700 or look into the yongnuo flash since its cheaper and I am starting out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back