Off camera flash AND shutter triggering

PocketWizards also cost a tad bit more than Yongnuo stuff ... but are more durable and work every time.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I own 3 yn622c so I am able to control my ttl flash settings from anywhere. Soni would highly recommend them.

Next if you are serious about macro I would highly recommend software called Helicon Focus. It used your lenes auto focus system to do focus stacking hands free. You set the closest focus point and the farthest point and the software does all the work of stacking and aligning the layers.

I stack a yn560tx on top of a 603 on the hotshoe. The 603s do the wireless triggering and the tx lets me control the power. Works awesome.

Basically I'm interested in mounting my Canon Rebel T5 (1200D) on a tripod with an extension tube for some pseudo macro work with focus stacking. I don't want the camera to move at all hence the shutter triggering. And I want to experiment with lighting my subject with off camera flash. I don't have a lot to spend, about a hundred dollars. If it helps I only need to trigger one flash and it can be in manual mode.
Hi, I just wonder: you plan focus stacking: as long as you don't have a sophisticated system or a wifi enabled camera (the t5 doesn't have wifi, does it?) with an app that takes care about the stacking, you need to touch the camera, focus slider, etc. That would sure have a bigger impact than touching the camera to press the shutter release.

Can the T5 trigger the ocf with the built in flash? Can the OCF be triggered by light? If they can, you only need a 10 dollar IR trigger for your camera. I trigger 2 off camera speed lights using my small pop up flash.

Can the T5 trigger the ocf with the built in flash? Can the OCF be triggered by light? If they can, you only need a 10 dollar IR trigger for your camera...

The T5 always sends a preflash. The timing between the preflash and the "real" flash is specific to each manufacturer. So when the first flash goes off, the "cheap" trigger will go off and be out of sync with the real flash.

As an example, Flash Zebra makes a line of cheap (and really useful) optical triggers but specifically notes that even the "Canon-compatible" products cannot be used with Canon's preflash. Here is a link that describes that:
FlashZebra.com: Optical Slave — Canon EX Compatible — with Male PC Connector — Sonia Brand (Item #0118)

The T5 is a great camera for a lot of things, but flash control is the Achilles heel of that camera. The work-around is to close the built-in flash and put something in the hotshoe. The T5 will attempt to talk to whatever is in the hotshoe. If it's a Canon- and ETTL-compatible device then they'll go down that path of pre-flash, etc. If the T5 can't talk to the device, then it will simply send the "fire now" signal on the center pin. That's where the other options kick in.

... I trigger 2 off camera speed lights using my small pop up flash.
Yup, I totally agree, but that's if the pop-up can support manual flash.

Most reactions

Back