Okay, i tried following that Pano. Tutorial...

That looks, well..., composed, man! Nice. Not much 'life', activity in there though.
Funny how it's as if you can see that the sun's rays reflect at a different angle off of the buildings on the right than they do off of the buildings on the left. Well, they do, of course.
And the buildings on the right seem to suffer from the 'falling perpendiculars complex'. Can you straighten that?

Ok I can see 3 stitching marks. What software did you use to make the panorama? If you say photoshop I'll say don't. I've used many panorama creation programs and photoshop's built in one was by far the worst of the bunch.

There's even some open source ones on the net which are harder to get working but often well worth it in the end. Many use a program called enblend (also open source) which dynamically plays with the brightness of images to ensure smooth gradients like skys stay consistent, and blend away all stitching marks, and in some cases it also corrects parallax error if there's enough over lap between the pictures to determine what the detail behind it is supposed to look like, but this only really works when the object behind the parallaxed object isn't textured.

I've tried a LOT of pano programs/stitching sofware, and I've found that they all have different pros and cons. I've actually found the stitching application in CS3 to work fairly well on single-level panos with lots of over-lap. Both http://www.johnsphotography.ca/hold/trip/crete/Pano_City_resize.jpg and http://www.johnsphotography.ca/hold/trip/crete/Pano_Harbour1_resize.jpg were created with the CS3 stitching application.

Looking at the OPs panorama, it appears to me to be the victim of one of the two most common mistakes, which is the failure to ensure that the camera is level and square to the scene. (The second being shooting on 'automatic' vice manual modes).

Forget all the other software that you have tried. AutoPano is one of the best and easiest ones that I have ever seen. It even removes ghosts and shadows of people that moved from frame to frame. I'll post an example tonight if I get the chance.

Ditto on that. I don't use it myself but for AutoPano it is simply fantastic. Several of my friends use it.

I personally use PanoramaTools, but the learning curve is intense, even with a graphical front end. That said you can't beat it for customisability. Now what kind of interpolation do we want? "Nearest Neighbour, Poly3, Spline16 Spline32 Spline64 Sinc256 or Sinc1024"? :)

Tirediron the panoramas themselves are great, but if you're going for quality I shouldn't be able to count the fact that Pano_City_resize was made from 7 photos, I can see the blending marks. Pano_Harbour is much smoother, but I still see a few of them.

thanks guys, this was done in cs3, the pictures were taken whilst itting on some stairs a pretty fair distance away. i hated editing that thing, i knew i couldnt get it right. that was my very first time though, next time i'll bring a tripod, and give it a proper try.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back