Old Korea Pics from '83-'84

K9Kirk

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just a few pics of geographical interest from when I was stationed in Korea in '83. I was a total newb with my Canon AE-1 Program back then so the pics aren't so hot and not in the best of shape. I had to scan them to get them into the computer as well.

1 Gwangam-dong Village just south of Camp Hovey, (next to Camp Casey) Korea. Those mini farm tractors were very common.
korea1pp.jpg

2 Southern outskirts of Gwangam-dong.
korea2pp.jpg

3 South of Gwangam-dong in the mountains with my Korean friends enjoying shots of Jinro Soju next to a 1000 yr. old tree.
korea3pp.jpg

4 A pic of Seoul, Korea from on top of Namsan Mountain. The population then was 9.3 mil.

korea4pp.jpg

5 A pic of the North Korean flag, world's 4th tallest (525 ft. tall and the flag weighs 595 lbs.) located in Panmunjom (Peace Village) that I took from guard post Ouellette in Daeseong-dong. President Reagan visited when I was there and our battalion, 1st Battalion, 1-38 Inf. (Rock of the Marne) had the honor of doing security for him.
korea5pp.jpg

These are great. Nice to look back and reminisce.

In Australia we are fond of giving nicknames so based on your military service and your name it would have to be "Captain"

I was at Kunsan AB at the same time, but was more interested in social aspects than photography unfortunately. I loved my time there. The Korean people were wonderful!

Nice shots. Must have been an interesting tour.

Thanks! Yes, it was a very interesting tour. I found a McDonalds in Seoul once and was so happy to order some American food. I got a hamburger but I about gagged because instead of them using lettuce they used kimchee. lol! Yes, they'd Koreanized an American hamburger. That's ok, I like kimchee now.

These are great. Nice to look back and reminisce.

In Australia we are fond of giving nicknames so based on your military service and your name it would have to be "Captain"

Thank you! Actually, I've been called "Capt. Kirk" ever since "Star Trek". Not often but enough to ensure I never forget that series.

I was at Kunsan AB at the same time, but was more interested in social aspects than photography unfortunately. I loved my time there. The Korean people were wonderful!

Thanks! Kunsan, you were way south of me, the furthest south I ever made it was on a train ride to Incheon where I had the best spicy, seafood stew I'd ever had. Agreed, the people were wonderful, they were very respectful and I made a few good friends over there. I need to go back and visit them some day.

I was lucky enough to have been involved in a project where my company was working with a Korean consortium (KERI) and I was there for two separate trips.

We were working in Mirayng but I did lots of sight seeing during my free time. I also spent a few vacation days in Seoul.

The highlight of that trip was watching the Super Bowl XLVII in an Irish pub called Wolfhound on Monday morning due to the time shift.

I was lucky enough to have been involved in a project where my company was working with a Korean consortium (KERI) and I was there for two separate trips.

We were working in Mirayng but I did lots of sight seeing during my free time. I also spent a few vacation days in Seoul.

The highlight of that trip was watching the Super Bowl XLVII in an Irish pub called Wolfhound on Monday morning due to the time shift.

That's a cool story! I think the highlight of Korea for me was when the Dallas Cheerleaders did a USO tour and came to our camp.

That's a cool story! I think the highlight of Korea for me was when the Dallas Cheerleaders did a USO tour and came to our camp.

There's a couple of cool stories from those trips. During my second visit I spent the day with a bunch of riders who were having an observed trials competition (I posted some pictures of that a while back). I also had dinner with a Buddhist monk that I met while out walking and I still wear the necklace he gave me as a gift. And I happen to be wearing the wristwatch that I bought in the Inchon airport.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back