Old Nikon 35-70 f/2.8

greybeard

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have read Ken Rockwell's review of this old lens several and he really loves it so I pickup one off ebay, Roberts Camera for $150 and it came in yesterday. It was listed as (good) condition but from the looks of it, it has been babied like I treat all my gear. Glass is clean with not marks, fungus and the body looks new. All I've gotten to do with it so far is shoot the scene from my front porch at 35, 50, and 70mm at f/2.8, 4, 5.6, and f/8. All I can say is that I'm pretty impressed. Here are the shots at f/2.8 from 70, 50, and 35mm

Attachments

• 35-70 from front porch.jpg
    948.4 KB · Views: 282
  • 35-70 from front porch-2.jpg
    948.3 KB · Views: 277
  • 35-70 from front porch-3.jpg
    1,015.4 KB · Views: 288
Yes sir. That Roberts camera sells good stuff. There prices are decent too. Everything I have bought from them has been better than listed.

Good little lens. Nikon has done really great old glass, arguments can be made that many of them beat the newer high element count lenses. For example, the 105 f1.8 ai matches the 105 f1.4 and destroys it in sooc contrast and saturation.

I've been considering it myself one day. I sold all of my former, big fat heavy 2.8 zooms. Not a fan these days, but I could travel/hike with the 35-70.

The 35-70/2.8 has always received high praise, my only grip is the push/pull (shotgun) design. I was happy when the industry moved away from it, the design is also a dust magnet.

The 35-70/2.8 has always received high praise, my only grip is the push/pull (shotgun) design. I was happy when the industry moved away from it, the design is also a dust magnet.

For a MANUAL lens, I prefer a push/pull zoom over a 2 ring zoom.
With a 2-ring zoom, you can only zoom or focus at one time, cuz you have to move your hand to the other ring to do the other.
With a PP zoom, I can zoom and focus at the same time. This is especially valuable when following the subject in fast moving situations like sports, or following a fast moving kid as he runs around the park.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back