Old Pic New Processing

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All,

This is an old pic from when I lived in Qatar. The bright picture is pretty much how the desert looks all year round. Very bright. I have loads of landscapes from my favourite bits of desert but I have not found a process that gives me a satisfying end result...... until now.

20 year old version of Paint shop pro + more fiddling with Photomatix = close as I have come to being happy with the processing.

Feedback gratefully received and if anyone wants to have a go at processing a featureless desert please feel free.

before.jpg

after.jpg

CHEERS

Hi All,

This is an old pic from when I lived in Qatar. The bright picture is pretty much how the desert looks all year round. Very bright. I have loads of landscapes from my favourite bits of desert but I have not found a process that gives me a satisfying end result...... until now.

20 year old version of Paint shop pro + more fiddling with Photomatix = close as I have come to being happy with the processing.

Feedback gratefully received and if anyone wants to have a go at processing a featureless desert please feel free.

View attachment 183771
View attachment 183772

CHEERS
I think you can do a lot with this kind of photos of desolate desert plains. In my opinion it's mainly due to one's own fantasy, not so much to the type of photo editing program. I've used the latest version of Paint.Net, it's still free software, but could have taken any other program. It all depends on how far you want to go and what you have in mind. I find this type of images a challenge and I think it can result in fascinating (large) posters.

View attachment 183778

It all depends on how far you want to go and what you have in mind. I find this type of images a challenge and I think it can result in fascinating (large) posters.

Oh yes I fully agree:
done2e.jpg

Number two for me........
I like GK's interpretation, so I would say number three for me. Revisiting old photos after new software has come out is always interesting. In my early days,raw files were hard to get processed. When I bought my first digital camera in 2001, a used Nikon D1, Adobe Photoshop would not yet handle raw files from that camera and it was necessary to buy Nikon capture which was approximately a $ 400-plus application. In the early days of the Fuji S2 Pro, Photoshop would not handle its raw files either. Today raw development is easy and there are loads of applications which will develop raw files.

In addition to new software there is also increasing skill on the part of each photographer. I would like to think that I am much better today at developing files than I was almost 20 years ago.

About 5 years ago I went back and re- developed a bunch of raw files from my S2 Pro days, using Lightroom 3.6. It was good to see how much better the new software was.

Last edited:
I would like to think that I am much better today at developing files than I was almost 20 years ago.

Yes I agree that I am much better and more restrained than I was even a few years ago.

I tried using Photoshop and Lightroom but I just dont take enough pics to justify the cost and I really hate the bloated interface of Adobe products.

Good pics. Although bright, I think #1 best captures what it really looks like. You toned down the brightness in #2 very well but perhaps a bit too well, it doesn't look natural and the skies are too dark, imo.

I toned #1 down just slightly and added a little color. I was shooting for natural but easy on the eyes.

pp desert copy.jpg

I like the original. I guess im weird. Lol

Most reactions

Back