What's new

Old Russian lens on a brand new T2i (comparison pics inside)

damian1228

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 28, 2010
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Location
Chicago
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The lens is a Jupiter 21m 200mm vs Sigma APO DG 70-300mm (set to 200mm). Jupiter lens worth around $50-70 (+$5 conversion adapter) on ebay vs Sigma around $200. Pics taken at f5.0 1/500 100ISO. You decide if its worth buying it. It's a hand me down from gramps. Weighs over 2lbs and is build like a tank!
(BTW manual focusing is so much easier with the jupiter than the sigma)

Sigma:
sigma70-300-1.jpg


Jupiter:
jupiter21m.jpg


I didn't take a picture of the lens but here it is on the internet:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zniv/3684479513/in/photostream/
 
sigma loooks much nicer to me..
 
The Sigma appears to have more contrast but the Jupiter looks to be sharper.
However these differences might be wholly attributable to image presentation and display.
 
I have a Nikon adapter so I can slap all my old school 35mm Nikon glass on my Rebel, makes for some neat vintaging effects in low light.
 
I guess I was just shocked as a neuby that I can still use such an old lens with this kind of technology and still get great results. I think if I bumped the f stop to 6 or 7 on the jupiter the images would be much more similar.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom