Older high quality model vrs newer lower quality model?

TheStupidForeigner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to purchase my first ever DSLR but am a bit stuck on which one to get!

First of all I'm a very poor student so it's a huge investment even just for the cheapest options, for this reason I will of course be buying second hand or refurbished. I'll also probably be looking at slightly older models as they are much cheaper. But how old is it ok to go? Should I get a 4-5 year old high quality model or go with a much newer but lower quality camera? Or of course something in the middle?

I will be using the camera mostly for travel/landscape photography, but also a little bit for portraits. Also it MUST have a bracketing option as I do a lot of HDR in landscapes and sunsets. Oh and the price range (second hand) is around €300.

So what do you think? Any opinions, in general or about specific models are much appreciated!

I've been looking a lot at the canon rebel type, though while all the reviews for a beginner camera are good I don't know why I have some negative feelings about it....

The older higher quality models usually cost as much or more as the newer but lower quality models.
A Nikon D300 (body only, no lens) used is about $50 more than a new D3100 that comes with a 18-55 mm kit lens and a 1 year warranty.

Not sure what you can get for €300 in the UK but in Canada you can roughly get a new Nikon D3100 or Canon T3 both are good very basic DSLR

The older higher quality models usually cost as much or more as the newer but lower quality models.
A Nikon D300 (body only, no lens) used is about $50 more than a new D3100 that comes with a 18-55 mm kit lens and a 1 year warranty.

Exactly, so considering that they are around the same price, which would you go with?

Not sure what you can get for €300 in the UK but in Canada you can roughly get a new Nikon D3100 or Canon T3 both are good very basic DSLR

As much as I love my D3200, not a single D3XXX has auto-bracketing, which OP stated was a MUST.

Actually the T3 is what I am most looking at, it has auto-bracketing and everyone says its a really good camera... i just have some negative feelings about it. Any opinions on this camera?

The T3 is Canon's most basic DSLR. However, it is capable and is in the right price range.
The T3 does not have Spot metering mode.

It is quite easy to manually bracket photos for HDR, so auto-bracketing is not a necessity for doing HDR.

Well as I travel I sometimes have to take hdr without a tripod so auto-bracketing is pretty essential for that, but I know at least the newer t3s have it. As for spot-metering, wow that's pretty shocking as most of my point and shoots have it... But anyway, not that important I guess...

Would there be any alternative to the T3 for my requirements? How about a slightly older but higher quality Canon? Maybe 4-5 years old in used condition for a similar price? Could that be better?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back