On Developing At Home...

Don't feel bad. It's usually newbies who pull these things out of the attic, running a search or whatever it is they do.

And... I learned on metal but quickly switched over to plastic, for the overall ease. It's just a non-issue these days for me. Just keepin' the thread on topic. :icon_razz:

I started on plastic then moved to metal. Metal, along with all the previously mentioned pluses, also provides better circulation of chemicals. (metal = less mass)

After 30 years of not developing, I recently purchased an 6x8 film camera. After three decades of not touching a reel, I had a lot of anxiety on loading 120mm onto a metal reel. It went smooth as silk, about 30 seconds in a changing bag and viola, no problems.

I recently developed my first couple of films and am hooked. It's a great feeling seeing the negatives when you open the tank and take the film off the spool. I am having difficulty getting the film on the reel but hope this will get a little easier over time. I'm using the Paterson system, which is very easy to load once the first part of the film is in the spool.

I guess it is what you learn on. I learned on steel and could not load 35mm correctly to save my hind quarters. I was going to loose my 35mm processing gear but I decided to load a roll to see what was on it. It had been a couple years and, don't you know, I nailed it. So, I have kept the 35mm developing gear.

I had thought about switching to the Paterson ratchety spools. Since I now apparently have developed the capacity to use the steel there is no need for ME to change.

It is up to the photographer exactly what tools work best to help him or her achieve the desired final outcome.

Most reactions

Back