What's new

On the Fence

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
6,593
Reaction score
3,719
Location
Ontario
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had zero clue what to name this thread! But I'm on the fence about both of them (pun intended ;))


1. I like the building, I've driven past it and shot it numerous times but finally liked this version enough to keep because of little bit of colour from the autumn leaves. Other versions I have taken at other times were just "meh" with lots of mud/dirt/wood all blending, I can't get the texture to pop.



2. I cannot tell you how many times I have shot this area (its our driveway) but I haven't been happy with any of them so far. This one is the closest but is there too much going on? Feels a bit busy (?) or something to me but might be personal taste.

 
#1 looks really soft, especially at the bottom of the frame. It lacks global and local contrast. I'd attack with clarity/contrast sliders and see what you come up with.

#2 looks a bit punchy. I like the leaf covered road, I like the composition. It looks like foreground and background are a bit out of focus, perhaps intentionally? I think it works here. IF that's what you did in the above image, I don't think it works as well.
 
1st image is too muddy for me
 
The first image isn't doing anything for me. It seems a little lack luster. Focus seems generally soft overall. The second image is really nice. I like the leading lines where my eyes are drawn down the road. I love the rich, vivid colors. I would maybe bring up your darks just a smidge in PP.
 
Thanks everyone, I will give the first one another go in Lightroom with your feedback in mind.

Rotanimod, yes, they were both shot with the same DOF with foreground and background oof. I agree it is much more successful in the second, I will change that up when I go back to shoot #1 again.
 
Ok this is literally the first time I've tried to edit in Lightroom, here is before and after, I think it is much better other than the softness at the bottom but I think even that is a little less of an issue.









 
The first image shows a lot of interesting subject material that I'm not sure you can find a good composition for, but I don't think that what you have is "it".

The second is a really solid composition. Not all THAT interesting, but definitely decent. I think it's overcooked (overprocessed) though.

Both have a variety of technical issues, but that's just practice and learning.
 
^ Yes the colors are better ( in the edited pic ), but were you literally DRIVING past this as you took the picture!??! If so...um...get out of the car, or at least STOP before taking. The fence in the foreground is blurry, and that is either from the car moving or camera shake or something. Either way it doesnt work.

Also on another note, I feel like this photo has an "old" look to it with the broken down building and fence, but then you have this bright new shiney silo thingy, and that ruins the mood for me. Just my opinion.
 
If there were some lambs in the lawn, the first one would compensate for all shortcomings;

Second one is very colorful
I liked both :D
 
The first image shows a lot of interesting subject material that I'm not sure you can find a good composition for, but I don't think that what you have is "it".

The second is a really solid composition. Not all THAT interesting, but definitely decent. I think it's overcooked (overprocessed) though.

Both have a variety of technical issues, but that's just practice and learning.
Thanks, you may be right on the first shot not having a good composition to find, this is on the edge of the road so there isn't much foreground before you start getting road into it, that has been my biggest issue trying to compose this one although Nandakumar's thoughts on having animals in there might be what is needed, there are cows in that field once in a while so timing might be key.
On the second, ok, not that interesting, cool, I was unsure since this is part of our driveway and I wasn't sure if it was "meh" or if I was just acclimated to the scene.
^ Yes the colors are better ( in the edited pic ), but were you literally DRIVING past this as you took the picture!??! If so...um...get out of the car, or at least STOP before taking. The fence in the foreground is blurry, and that is either from the car moving or camera shake or something. Either way it doesnt work.

Also on another note, I feel like this photo has an "old" look to it with the broken down building and fence, but then you have this bright new shiney silo thingy, and that ruins the mood for me. Just my opinion.
Yes I was literally driving by as I shot it, I often do that when we are out and about as we pass places that I want to figure out and go back and shoot. Can't do anything about the feed silo unless I bring Hubby and send him out to move it before I shoot ;)
If there were some lambs in the lawn, the first one would compensate for all shortcomings;

Second one is very colorful
I liked both :D
Thanks Nandakumar! Your thoughts on animals in there feeding might just work! There are cows in that field sometimes, I will have to watch for them!
 
I like the last one more. More colorful and without that piece of 'air' on top.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom