Once I'm done editing in RAW...

Jon_Are

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm new to shooting RAW. Once I've finished editing my image (in Photoshop Elements 7), I notice it defaults to a dng extension.

Should I leave it in this format? Convert it to jpg?

Advantages / disadvantages of each?

Thanks,

Jon

DNG: Lossless, you can go back and do raw edits
JPEG: Smaller file size, you can display on the web/print/send to people/etc.

DNG is a universal raw format (an universal negative). This format can be supported by most of the photo editing or organizing software's, even if it doesn't support the raw from your camera model.

This DNG is supported by adobe which are promising that they will support it as long as they exist as a company.

Here is more about it:

http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/

DNG: Lossless, you can go back and do raw edits
JPEG: Smaller file size, you can display on the web/print/send to people/etc.

I don't think he referred to the differences between RAW and JPG :)

He asked whether he should convert to jpeg, or leave it in raw/dng format.

Thanks for the responses.

So, once I have my 'finished' RAW image, that is now a dng...do I leave it in this format?

For example, can I upload a dng to a site for prints/enlargements? Or do they require jpg?

Can I bring dng files to my local Target for prints?

I guess what I'm asking is, do RAW shooters typically leave their images in dng format, or do they convert to jpg?

Jon

If you want to do anything other than store it, it's gotta be jpeg or tiff.

Ahhh, that's what I needed to know.

Jon

I save my immages in both formats! I keep the converted raw file and I make a web file saving it as a jpeg. Only takes a couple clicks, and the jpegs really don't take up that much more space. Jpegs makes it very easy for almost anyone with a compter to view the files. And you always have the big file to make prints from if you want to.

If you want to do anything other than store it, it's gotta be jpeg or tiff.

Do you mean if you want to print it? Cause I go back to my DNG. files or PSD. files all the time to refine, readjust etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back