One cat or two?

JohnMF

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I know there's a few cat lovers here on the forum, maybe you can help.

I'm getting a cat/kitten from the rescue centre, and the woman there has suggested i take two from the same litter. That's fine with me except i'm a bit worried about a couple of things. I've owned a couple of dogs in the past, but never a cat. Could any experienced cat owners advise me..

1. They will be house cats, and my house is really small. Do two cats need more space?
2. Is the cost of keeping two cats considerably more than just the one, ie. is it literally double the cost?
3. Will they need separate litters, beds, food etc?

Any other tips or advice appreciated. Thanks

I don't really think so. If you have room for one cat, you have room for two.

It will be more, but I wouldn't say double. ...I never really sat down and tried to figure the costs out.

I think that will all depend on the cats...
My guess is that they'll be fine sharing a food/water bowl & litter box, but I have had cats before that wouldn't eat anything that was touched by a person or another cat...lol.

I never had a cat bed before. They'll find somewhere to sleep, lol.
If you do get a bed for them, there's no guarantee that they'll even use it. They pretty much just do whatever they want.

They pretty much just do whatever they want.

That's cat's for you ;)
I would say that as they come from the same litter they should get on fine with each other, but all animals are indevidual so you just won't know till you get them and find out.
As for beds, typically they take yours ;)

Food wise they will probably feed from the same bowl as kittens without worry even as adult cats they might very well keep feeding as such, but you might find one is more dominant (ei that cat eats first) so you might wish to feed separartly at that time just to make sure both cats are getting enough.

two is always a lot better. for the cats and yourself. They keep each other company and become generally more social, they don't need your attention as much, it's healthier for them.

Just make sure if they are brother and sister that one of them is -- ahem - dealt with. Otherwise oneday you will have far more than just 2 little kittycats

thanks for the tips guys. Anymore let me know!

they are both neutered/spayed, micro-chipped etc, so no probs there.

Rescue cats are the best and most loving. Having two from same litter is fantastic, for they know each other. You will be twice happier than with only one.

Glad to hear you adopt rescued cats, I have four of my own. 'Grats John!

Two are better:) If you don't have time they both can have fun with themselves, they will be more happy together. And also you will have more purrrrisfaction.
I think the only "double" thing with two cats is double fun. For sure there is no double work, you still have to give them eat but you must fill two bowls, it isn't much more job than filling one. We all know that the hardes't thing is to move your ass, once you did that the rest is easy:p

Go for two, you get two rescued and twice as much love ;)

But for your questions. We thought our cat ran away and it was two months so we decided to buy a kitten, the morning after we bought the kitten someone called us and said they had our cat.

It all depends on the cats, our cats share water and food but if ones a heavy eater you will need to buy more food. The kitten eats a lot and poops a lot so we have two litter boxes in the basement and two food bowls. Lets hope your cats arent fat!

It really all depends, but its not twice the money. Of course it costs more money.

Seeing as this is a photography forum, you should post pictures when you get the cat(s)

I know there's a few cat lovers here on the forum, maybe you can help.

I'm getting a cat/kitten from the rescue centre, and the woman there has suggested i take two from the same litter. That's fine with me except i'm a bit worried about a couple of things. I've owned a couple of dogs in the past, but never a cat. Could any experienced cat owners advise me..

1. They will be house cats, and my house is really small. Do two cats need more space?
2. Is the cost of keeping two cats considerably more than just the one, ie. is it literally double the cost?
3. Will they need separate litters, beds, food etc?

Any other tips or advice appreciated. Thanks

How great that you are adopting some kitties!

1. Like others have said, really if you have room for one, you have room for two. I'm sure your kittens will be playing together a lot, and they do get rough with each other, but they are so small themselves, that it shouldn't be a problem. As they grow and get big enough to actually take up space, they will more than likely adjust to the space of their surroundings, and be happy with what they have.
2. The cost of two cats is not much more than taking care of one - it is definitely not double. If I had to guess, I would say it is about 1.5x the amount it costs to take care of one.
3. If they are growing up together, they probably will sleep together, in anywhere but the bed you buy them, lol. Cat's like to sleep in piles of other cats, with the exception of cats that are used to being the only cat around. One big litterbox would be just fine for two cats. You will want to get them each a separate dish for food and water.

As far as the litter boxes go, the rule of thumb is one for each cat, plus one, though in my experience, it'll depend on the cats, really.

I'm a dog person, if I could have a cat though, I'd get one. I have a dog that has hig drive and would chase a cat, and then I'm allergic :(

But - I've heard that its good to have to cats.

Good luck, congrats, and good job rescuing! :)

Btw, I've got one big gray cat, free to good home. In fact, at this point, I may just PAY YOU TO TAKE HIM!

Otherwise, I may just end up strangling him.

Most reactions

Back