One last question.... flast

ababysean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
sb600

how can I use it as an off camera flash with the NikonD3000?

Is this possible?

Do I need some other accessories?

I'm wanting to order an umbrella and light stand and if I need a cord or something to hook the flash to the camera, I'd just order them together.

Is this at all possible?
Thanks.

Here is my understanding and I would like someone more experienced to confirm.

If you get a SB600 you can get a remote cable and have a singe source off camera (albeit connected via cable).

You could also get 2 SB600's and the one on your camera could be used as a commander to control the other wirelessly. I'm assuming you could also have the one that is connected via cable be the commander and the other is the slave wirelessly. I hope that is the case as it is what I'm planning to do with my D40!!!!!!!!!!!

so I can have my camera on a tripod and the flash set up with the cord to the flash?

What cord is to be determined with more googling... haha

they make an ittl cord, that is basically a hotshoe extender. I dont have the link, but it is easy enough to find. Im not as familiar as i would like to be with the d3000, but i dont think it supports nikons cls, or creative lighting system. (basically, that controls flashes wirelessly). Your best bet is to get the extension cord, as it will be the simplest way to do it.

Here is my understanding and I would like someone more experienced to confirm.

If you get a SB600 you can get a remote cable and have a singe source off camera (albeit connected via cable).

You could also get 2 SB600's and the one on your camera could be used as a commander to control the other wirelessly. I'm assuming you could also have the one that is connected via cable be the commander and the other is the slave wirelessly. I hope that is the case as it is what I'm planning to do with my D40!!!!!!!!!!!

Crap! I'm proving myself wrong. The SB-600 canNOT be used as a master! Ugh!

You can still get one SB-600 and use the hotshoe to do cable off camera, but the wireless method I described is WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!! :gah::gah::gah:

You can use radio triggers. You don't have iTTL but you also aren't limited to line-of-sight and most radio triggers work at well over 100 feet.

Also, using an infrared system (CLS) in direct sunlight can be problimatic whereas radio is uneffected.

The kit in the following link has 2 receivers that can each mount 2 speedlights, and a transmitter that goes on the camera hot shoe:

ISHOOT PT-04 C Wireless Flash Trigger PT04?2 Receivers - eBay (item 270395680462 end time Jun-16-10 21:17:10 PDT)

Or, if you expect you'll expand your lighting capability:

?PT-04 C Radio Wireless Remote Double-Flash Trigger?4Rx - eBay (item 280493113524 end time Jun-13-10 03:20:01 PDT)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You can get a SU-800. It is not line of sight completely...the IR signal can and will bounce off walls. I've fired without line of sight using my on-board flash before.

You can get an SB-800. YOu have the ability to fire the SB-600 with the 800 and you also have a second light source if needed.

YOu can get a long flash cord which keeps TTL. SOmething like
Dot Line | RS-0446/5 TTL Cord 16.5' (5m) (Straight) | RS-0446/5

...which at 16 feet should give you plenty of room to move around.

oohhh so wirless will not be able to give me metering with the camera?

I'd need a light meter then?

I've seen several questions by you on the SB-600. First off, damn good purchase on your part. After some research, I went with Paul C. Buff CyberSync triggers. You would need the transmitter CST mounted on the hotshoe and the receiver CSRB for each flash unit to go wireless. For the SB-600, you would also need the hotshoe linked on that page from Flashzebra. These will work if you upgrade body or flash in the future.

You won't have TTL capabilities, but it's not that big of a deal IMO. Without going into your pockets too deep for a light meter and all the other stuff that's neat (and quite handy), just play around with the settings on your camera and flash. Expose for the scene as you normally would.... add a little bit of flash, say around 1/16th power. Adjust apeture, shutter speed and flash power in small steps and one at a time. Take notes.

Good luck.

Most reactions

Back