online editing?

stephras07

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Any ideas? I have talked the hubby into getting Aperture, but now just waiting for it to get here and I have a shoot to edit, plus one tomorrow morning that I will need to edit as well. I am tired of fiddling with GIMP and it not doing what I need, can't get the Aperture free trial to install so That is out of the question.

Does anyone know of somewhere online that I can edit/remove/mask the background? Preferably free lol. Thanks :)

Well definitely there are some online editing sites,however I would recommend you Picasa to easily edit your images & the best part is -it comes free;).
It can be downloaded from here:

Picasa 3: Free download from Google

I was looking at that, but it doesn't look like I can do masks. I need to get rid of the background in my latest batch of pictures due to a severely wrinkled backdrop (solutions for future pictures are in the works). Am I missing something on Picasa? From what I see it is just basic editing.

KmH - I've been using GIMP (see original post..) but I'm just tired of having to know all the techie language to get it to work right. Everything takes for freaking ever, and with a toddler and one on the way I need something that has a little better user interface (read: something a little more idiot proof, since brain power/concentration isn't always available these days lol). I feel like GIMP is designed more for someone who does a lot with programming etc (like my husband, who has had no problems but can't teach me to save his soul, poor man), and I don't have the time to learn that, on top of the kids, school, and being a navy wife overseas. From everything that I have heard, PS and Aperture are a little more useful for the general population. I guess I will just have to wait for Aperture to get here, and my friend will have to wait a week for her pictures if I can't find something simple online to get rid of the wrinkled background.

I just spent nearly 2 freaking hours in the middle of the night (for me) ironing one damn backdrop. God help me if I get it out tomorrow for a location shoot and find it all wrinkled again!!!! I am definitely investing in polyester (as advised by someone else on here). I don't have the space to keep things up full time unfortunately :(

would it help to blur the background? you can do that with picasa.

I'm not a regular Aperture user, but I've had some experience with it --not the newest version. If I'm not mistaken Aperture isn't going to have the specific feature you're looking for; layer masking.

I also don't believe there are any online editing sites that provide masking capabilities.

So when your copy of Aperture arrives I fear you'll have to go back to GIMP to get the job done.

Take Care,
Joe

Aviary

surprised no one here mentioned it. not sure if you can do masks on it but it is all browser based. sometimes it can be a bit of a CPU hog. so it will slow down randomly but it will be fine for what you need.

//edit//
it DOES have layer masking. and it is free.

Last edited:
You can also download any 30 day trial of photoshop I am using a 30 day trial of CS5 now.

Aviary

surprised no one here mentioned it. not sure if you can do masks on it but it is all browser based. sometimes it can be a bit of a CPU hog. so it will slow down randomly but it will be fine for what you need.

//edit//

That's a new one for me. I just took a quick look at it and it does indeed edit in multiple layers and provides layer masks. I ran a quick test and discovered one unfortunate problem. It is entirely icc profile unaware. In fact it strips any icc profiles out of uploaded images effectively destroying every photo it touches.

Joe

I'm not a regular Aperture user, but I've had some experience with it --not the newest version. If I'm not mistaken Aperture isn't going to have the specific feature you're looking for; layer masking.

I also don't believe there are any online editing sites that provide masking capabilities.

So when your copy of Aperture arrives I fear you'll have to go back to GIMP to get the job done.

Take Care,
Joe

Someone else on here had mention Viveza as a plug in to do masks.

Aviary

//edit//

That's a new one for me. I just took a quick look at it and it does indeed edit in multiple layers and provides layer masks. I ran a quick test and discovered one unfortunate problem. It is entirely icc profile unaware. In fact it strips any icc profiles out of uploaded images effectively destroying every photo it touches.

Joe

What is the ICC profile? How does not having that destroy a photo?

would it help to blur the background? you can do that with picasa.

I tried something like that with iPhoto, and the problem is that 1) it is a fairly tight crop, making it hard to blur the backdrop without blurring the subject as well, and 2) the wrinkles are pretty bad.

I did spend a couple hours ironing it last night so that it wouldn't have them for another shoot this morning. Future solutions are in the works, but need something for these pictures. The girl went into labor already, so redoing the shoot altogether is no longer an option lol

Most reactions

Back