opinions please

mmaria

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As some of you already know I'm working on a project which involves photographing poor children (and families, but mostly children) in their environment. I already posted few examples and got critique on those photos. Thank you all! Project is kind of paused now because of some problems that occur with paperwork :( but in the other hand this pause gives me more time to visit more families and take photos of more children.

For every visit I have to borrow a camera from a friend, because mine is not capable to take decent shots indoors. My friend's camera is Canon 600d with 17-55 2.8 lens.
Organization of this visits depends on availability of friend's camera, official driver and car and of course those children have to be at home, not in school. So it's not easy but I manage.

Now... there is a competition in photojournalism photography I consider to enter with one photo from a visit. " .... photographers can enter the competition whose theme, this year, is to "defend and advocate for the dignity of human beings and nature."

I need opinions from you guys. Does this photo fit in the theme? Does this photo evoke an emotional reaction? Is it good enough for sending?

I've never considered to enter any kind of competition before. And I don't expect anything from this one except to, kind of knowing for my self, that I created something that's worthy and evokes emotions and thinking about particular theme.

Thank you in advance!

Here is the photo. Post processing was just some curves and desaturation.

$fap_081013_0027.jpg

Its a good photo. I like the tone and contrast. There are a few slight things that bother me. The broom out of focus dominates the scene. The boys expression. Something else that I really can't put into words, maybe the composition, my eye is kinda led all over the place. Good work though, sounds like you are passionate about the project.

Its a good photo. I like the tone and contrast. There are a few slight things that bother me. The broom out of focus dominates the scene. The boys expression. Something else that I really can't put into words, maybe the composition, my eye is kinda led all over the place. Good work though, sounds like you are passionate about the project.

Thanks for your words, I took it as a compliment :)

I was struggling with focus and lack of available light. He looked like that all the time ( few seconds actually) that's was available time with him. The broom was already there and I understand that it maybe dominates.

I kind of wanted more in one image but following the "norms" (as someone here on tpf stated that there are no rules but norms in photography, and I like that term) I suppose to show his living condition, and here you can see the hallway, his room and the bedroom. a non working computer without keyboard, no furniture except a couch and a bed in bedroom.

Opinions are like..... :)

I personally think the broom helps the composition. It's a powerful image for me that evokes some emotion. Good job on that. I personally think the broom adds to the atmosphere and helps tell a part of the story. I don't just see it as a broom... I see it as a very old style and very worn broom that completely compliments the story and emotion. My eyes went straight to the boy and I believe the broom helped lead me in. I looked around the scene and then back to the broom. The broom, computer and dirty walls all help tell the story and set the tone of the image. The broom also helped lead my eyes to the poor condition of the flooring below it at the front of the frame. I say job well done.

Opinions are like..... :)

I personally think the broom helps the composition. It's a powerful image for me that evokes some emotion. Good job on that. I personally think the broom adds to the atmosphere and helps tell a part of the story. I don't just see it as a broom... I see it as a very old style and very worn broom that completely compliments the story and emotion. My eyes went straight to the boy and I believe the broom helped lead me in. I looked around the scene and then back to the broom. The broom, computer and dirty walls all help tell the story and set the tone of the image. The broom also helped lead my eyes to the poor condition of the flooring below it at the front of the frame. I say job well done.

Your thoughts are exactly what I wanted to say with this photograph :) I was afraid because there was no replies.

And now I'm trying to say more about the boy but I just have no proper words... His expression tells you also in what condition is his state of mind...I just don't know how to nicely say that there is a little boy in inside that body...hope you'l understand.
I met him in his school and went to his house. He was so excited about my camera, the car and the fact that his school director was with him. He was smiling and happy for that 15 minutes we spent in his house. I just couldn't believe how far he lives from school and people.

I am actually very happy that I succeeded because your opinions are telling me that.
And yes, I'm very passionate about this project. There are a lot of children in need and if I just help somehow, anyhow I'll be pleased.

Thanks!

Did you mean for the child to be out of focus?

Did you mean for the child to be out of focus?
No. I checked again at 100% view in ps and he is in focus.
Did he seem to be oof?

Edit to add: now I'm worried...

Last edited:
Yes, the image here you posted. Either oof or motion blur. (Which is more likely since you shot this at 1/10 of a second.)

Oh yeah... I failed :(.... but not completely because it will serve for the projects but not competitions.
but maybe, just maybe it is in range of acceptable focus ( my hope is saying now :)) not hope for competition, to be clear, but is it still acceptable for humanitarian projects?

This was the first time I used Canon and maybe 10th photo I took with it ( before I went to his house I photographed some school kids). Settings are just in different places, so I was nervous about it and about lack of available time. The camera was on aperture priority and I took a deep breath... but...

glad I asked here first...

Last edited:
You might consider moving in on him a bit to make him bigger in the frame. That also gets closer to the OOF broom and, because it is chopped off (and I made it darker but very clumsily) draws the eye less.
I made it sort of sepia and burnt all the edges to give it a grungier look and close it in more.

fap_081013_0027llll.jpg~original

I like the crop that is just between mine and yours :) I cropped too loose, you cropped too tight.
I think the walls need to be included a bit more, to show how his home hallway looks like and that there is no a carpet on the floor . Your crop tells more about him, mine tells about how he lives.

Thanks!

This is a fine photograph as-is. Having the kid smaller in the frame makes the picture read one way, having the child larger changes the character. As you have noted this is a sort of sliding scale, and you can pick where you like it best in the scale!

One photo is a scene with a boy in it, while the other reads much more like a photo of a boy, with a scene surrounding him. Two very different results, based on how tightly he is framed.

I like the crop that is just between mine and yours :) I cropped too loose, you cropped too tight.
I think the walls need to be included a bit more, to show how his home hallway looks like and that there is no a carpet on the floor . Your crop tells more about him, mine tells about how he lives.

Thanks!

No argument with different artistic tastes. :wink:

Thank you guys!

I really like this photo and I'm glad we all agree :)

Most reactions

Back