Organically Grown

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took this portrait over a year ago and had completely forgotten about it. I believe I overlooked it because I didn't like it at the time. I was culling through old shoots recently and came across this shot and decided that I liked it enough to finally edit and share. This guy was my muse over the last Summer. Not having someone around to be a muse this Summer has been difficult and has taught me not to take them for granted, lol.

organically_grown_by_danostergren-d6gpbwz.jpg

For those interested, there is another shot that I posted of this guy in the Artistic Nudes forum that earned me a daily deviation on deviantart.

This is a strange picture.
Technically speaking, the eyes are way too dark and the OOF leaf on his temple is distracting.
Pose - Weird. The way he is handling the foliage is very feminine in my opinion. He looks way to manly to be handling the greenery so delicately.
I don't get it I guess. But I mostly take pictures of babies and kids and not half (or full, who knows) naked men. lol

Technically speaking, the eyes are way too dark and the OOF leaf on his temple is distracting.
Pose - Weird. The way he is handling the foliage is very feminine in my opinion. He looks way to manly to be handling the greenery so delicately.
I don't get it I guess. But I mostly take pictures of babies and kids and not half (or full, who knows) naked men. lol
Well I'm a strange person, and I think macho men are boring. In my opinion it shows weakness to cover up one's vulnerabilities with a stupid macho facade all the time. Also, vulnerable and soft does not automatically mean that something or someone is feminine. This idea of macho for men and vulnerable for women is boring and uninspiring to me.

Last edited:
Well I'm a strange person, and I think macho men are boring.

ok

Well I'm a strange person, and I think macho men are boring.

ok
Thank you for the feedback though, I do appreciate it. Just sharing a bit of my artistic vision.

Well I'm a strange person, and I think macho men are boring. In my opinion it shows weakness to cover up one's vulnerabilities with a stupid macho facade all the time. Also, vulnerable and soft does not automatically mean that something or someone is feminine. This idea of macho for men and vulnerable for women is boring and uninspiring to me.

It's strange how alive and well gender stereotypes are in photography.

I really like this shot, Dan. Something very primal about it. I just wish there was a tad more light in the eye sockets.

Worst hiding job ever. ;)

My only beef is it's a tad green.

And you know my take on the whole posing feminine masculine sexuality thang.

I like the vision behind this photo. What I don't like is your hand placement. Why are you holding the vine? It feels very forced; plus the hands are very bright and draw attention to them. I would try again with more relaxed arms.

I also like the concept behind the shot and your vision, but I think it is lacking the technical aspects. It is super unexposed in the areas that matter the most, the WB is stretching way too far toward the green, and the composition is not adding to the subject matter. I think if the eyes are going straight toward the lens then they should be well lit.

The white balance and exposure are intentional. The green is to intensify the organic feel and the exposure I feel helps give it a moody feeling. As for the light on his eyes, this is not a beauty shot. I kept him in good lighting, however I wanted it to look like the viewer is interrupting a private moment, therefore the expression is hardened and the slight shadow on his eyes lend to this. As for the posing, Joshua is all around sort of awkward in front of the camera. Getting him to soften up for it is not an easy task.

Most reactions

Back