Our Planetary Neighbors

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, my addiction to astrophotography continues... Last night was a great night for viewing several plants in our solar system. I managed to capture my best yet image of Jupiter. And, a first for me, I found Uranus! (let the jokes commence) It was a hard target to find. Mars is just past it's opposition, so it is as close to Earth as it gets, and won't be this close again until 2035! It is bright and rises in the east, if you want to see it.

Celestron EdgeHD 8" SCT
Nikon D500
2x Barlow (giving it 4000mm equivalent focal length)
Video clips captured in Backyard Nikon
Stacked in Deep Sky Stacker
Finished in Photoshop

Mars Jupiter Saturn Uranus Composite 100720.jpg

Last edited:
These are awesome!

All interesting stuff.

Fascinating!

Maybe you can answer this one- last week I was out before sun up and there was something just below the moon. It was very visible and much bigger looking than a star. It was staying in the same spot and visible until sunrise. Any idea? I meant to look it up when I got home but forgot until I clicked on this thread.

Fascinating!

Maybe you can answer this one- last week I was out before sun up and there was something just below the moon. It was very visible and much bigger looking than a star. It was staying in the same spot and visible until sunrise. Any idea? I meant to look it up when I got home but forgot until I clicked on this thread.
Thanks! Based on your description, I would bet it was Venus. Venus rises in the east at about 4am and should be fairly bright.

Fascinating!

Thanks! Based on your description, I would bet it was Venus. Venus rises in the east at about 4am and should be fairly bright.

I left my house at 5 that morning so that was probably it! Thanks.

Very nice, you even captured them with some decent color. Uranus is so small. :rolleyes:

Very nice, you even captured them with some decent color. Uranus is so small. :rolleyes:
Thanks! It is a hard thing to see.....without a mirror :icon_eek:

I wish I had a dedicated astro camera. They're more sensitive and can capture even better color and detail.

I wish I had a dedicated astro camera. They're more sensitive and can capture even better color and detail.

LMAO! :biglaugh:

Oh, wait! You meant a mirrored lens. :winksexy:

LMAO! :biglaugh:

Oh, wait! You meant a mirrored lens. :winksexy:
Of course. A reflecting telescope with mirrors. What other mirror could I possibly be referring to......?

Most reactions

Back