Paintings

CMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I went to the art museum yesterday and took about 225 pictures of...pictures. I've only uploaded a small number; will post more later if you guys are interested.

Alfred Stevens: A Visit to the Studio

This one just jumped out at me. It's very crisp and detailed.

AlfredStevensVisittotheStud.jpg

Claude Monet: Charing Cross Bridge

Of course, one of his most famous works. You can google it and see all sorts of pictures of it that really bring out the bridge sharply; but that's not how it is in real life. Seeing it in person, it leaves you to ponder the mists and mystery surrounding the murky bridge.

ClaudeMonetCharingCrossBrid.jpg

Jean-Leon Gerome: The Guard

A picture doesn't do this one justice. In person, the painting jumps to life. It almost looks like you can touch the dogs fur, it's so realistic.

Jean-LeonGeromeTheGuard.jpg

John Brett: Massa, Bay of Naples

This is a painting that I, for some reason unknown to me, just liked.

JohnBrettMassaBayofNaples.jpg

Maximilien Luce: La Rue Moffeta

A good example of neo-impressionism.

MaximilienLuceLaRueMouffeta.jpg

Panini: Ruins with the Temple

Outstanding work; it's very detailed.

PaniniRuinsWiththeTempleand.jpg

Renoir: Boquet in a Vase

Simple, organic, and attractive. One of Renoir's best, in my opinion.

RenoirBoquetinaVase.jpg

Van Gogh: Landscape at Saint Remy

Van Gogh is one of those artists you just have to love; the texture is so unique.

VanGoghLandscapeatSt.jpg

Giuseppe De Nittis: The Road from Brindisi to Barletta

deNittistheRoadfrombrindiss.jpg

Jean Joseph Xavier Bidauld: The Park at Mortefontaine

JeanJosephPark.jpg

Unknown Artist: Christ in Limbo

UnknownArtistChristinLimbo.jpg

Jean Metzinger: The Seashore

JeanMetzingerTheSeashore.jpg

Claude Monet: The Church of San Giorgio

Most pictures, I was able to crop out the frame entirely. This one, I was not. My apologies.

MonetChurch.jpg

Charles Guillaume Alexandre Bourgeois: Mars and Venus Surprised by Vulcan

AlexanderBourgeois.jpg

Richard Wilson: Apollo and the Seasons

RichardWilsonApollo.jpg

Ludof Backhyusen: Christ in the Storm

LudofBackhyusenChrist.jpg

I still have many more.

Tech specs; Canon 400D, Canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, ISO 400, f/3.5, 1/15, 1/25 and 1/8. No flash, no tripod.

So no one said anything against you taking photos of all of those paintings then? For as long as you did not use any flash or so? Let me know, please, for I am always uncertain whether that is allowed or not (though I did take photos of paintings in the Jewish Museum in Berlin in October and no one ever said a word, but I never cropped them this clearly out of their frames).

Anyhow, you did a super job in taking all these photos of the paintings. No reflections, as far as I can see, true colours (I should guess), and wonderful (also wonderfully varied) pieces of art!

Thanks for your compliments!

I checked with the museum before I went, and they said that photography was allowed, I just couldn't use flash or a tripod. Although the museum "guards" (as I call them; in each exhibit they have guys in suits walking around watching your every move) did look at me with a somewhat questioning look, they never said anything.

These are all as true to life as they can get...no filters, no doctoring in Photoshop.

Most reactions

Back