Panic averted

RVT1K

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Yesterday afternoon a bald eagle landed in a tree across the street from me after we were watching it circle the area a couple of times.
After a moment of stunned silence...my g/f says "GET YOUR CAMERA!"
So I do and take a bunch of shots, I was worried since it was backlit and I wasn't sure how things would look.

I run in the house, hook up to the PC and start looking at the shots.

After a minute I notice a blurry "airplane" in the frame.
Then I notice it's actually in every frame. WHAT??!!

I go and look at shots I had taken the day before to test out a lens and, after careful examination, I see it. It was much tougher due to the lighting of the shot but it is there.

So I tried the built-in sensor cleaning function in my D4 and took more shots with different lenses.

Then I finally realize I can see the blemish in the viewfinder which means in is not on the sensor.

So its not the lens and its not the sensor. I had to sit and think a minute and I come to the conclusion it must be on the mirror.

I am fortunate in that I have access to some facilities and equipment that most never will. I had access to our cleanroom and lovely low-pressure nitrogen nozzle.

While in our spotless assembly area I blew out the inside of the body with the low-pressure nitrogen. When I was done I went outside to take some test shots and all is good again.

Panic averted.

If it was on the mirror, it wouldn't show up on the pictures.

If it was on the mirror, it wouldn't show up on the pictures.

Well it certainly is gone now.

Since blowing the inside of the camera out with low-pressure N2 did the trick, it was some sort of debris. But I did blow it out with the mirror both locked up and down.

So where was it?

Most reactions

Back