Paris-Nice 2011

Yes, for the A to B stages pretty much there is one main group and a small one a few seconds later. Stage 5 will be time trials (I think stage 5), so I will try the ND trick then to see what I can get.

Today I waited in the same spot for more than 2 hours.....I did take a few 360 photos though to pass the time away, including one right in fron of the finish line, with a tuck parked over it:)

I can imagine it - the lead group and the 2nd almost as fit/quick, but not quite :)

Time Trials..I didn't consider that. Gives you a bit of thinking space. Thanks for the info about it. I will revisit your website soon.

Pretty much the same today, 2 main groups. I tried to get them just before a bend today, though it did not go great. Completely got the line wrong, so manual focus on the second camera was well out. Still, got off a few shots with the main. Fingers crossed tomorrow will be better and I will choose a different spot. I may go for another finish tomorrow....

The new gallery is on my website.

today went better than yesterday, though knackered! I even managed to play with blurring the racers, no ND needed as the light just started to fade. I used a TS 17 lens as originally I intended to video the cyclists in miniature, though that did not last long when I realised I could not control the Aperture manually (I need to update my 5d's bios I think). I may try that tomorrow.

The full gallery can be found Photos of the Paris-Nice bike race 2011 Stage 4 Crêches-sur-Saône - Belleville 191 km

Cool pictures, sounds like a great time watching the races all day.
When I photographed races I liked the panning shots in the corners, especially when they lean into them. And if you find a steep hill that can slow them down a bit. Easier to compose.

@spacefuzz, thanks for the tips, I will definitely try some panning shots, though will wait until tomorrow's time trials as if I mess if up a few no real problem:) Some hilly stages coming up, one with a 14km climb I htink), so looking forward to photographing them on top of that to capture their faces after the hard climb.

Very tired today. Been diving everywhere and just managed to get to the end before the riders arrived.

Some nice hill-climb faces!

Loads of photos

here if you want to see more.

A very wet, cold and windy stage 7 just finished. Some photos below.

It must have been really tough for these guys today. It is really cold and very wet!

Some more photos can be found here

OK, you will be happy to know this is the last stage post, so no more from me on Paris-Nice! Good job this is not Tour de France, I think there are something like 21 stages.

Not a great photography day. I decided not to photograph the start/finish as I had planned, as quite honestly I did not fancy standing in the rain for 4 hours to secure my finish spot.

I have to say I have really enjoyed my photography holiday, especially as photographing road cycling is so tough. I think I have learned a lot and plan to have a think about all the things I did wrong and get it right for a few stages of the Tour de France.

Today I chose to photograph the race close to the highest point; though I did not choose well, as the cool backdrops I wanted to get were never in shot!

Anyway, still another enjoyable day and back to Paris tomorrow to spend the rest of my holiday adding some much needed gigapixel photos to my website.

Some more photos can be found here

Most reactions

Back