Passionate young photographer here! Need advice for buying first digital camera!

NomadChild

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've spent the last 8 months taking black & white analog photos with a Minolta X-700 (50mm 1.4 lens) and have decided I want to move into digital. The idea was prompted because 1) I've realized from shooting so much that photography is a major passion of mine and I'd like to study it in college. And 2) next year is my last year of high school and I want to transfer into an advanced photography class that happens to rely heavily on digital. So, I'm here to ask you guys for help buying my first high quality digital camera.

I don't have any particular budget in mind, but I'd like to cap it at $1000. My teacher has already recommended the Nikon D3200/3300/5200/5300 and the Canon Rebel T3/4/5i, but after comparing specs and features on Adorama.com and BHphotovideo.com, I realized I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm scheduling a time to sit down with my teacher and get a clearer idea of what all these models/features mean, but I thought I'd also ask you guys too. So here's my criteria (if this isn't enough, feel free to ask me more in the comments):

I'm looking for a camera and lens that will last a couple years as I segue from mastering the basics into more advanced photography. I'd like a camera that allows me to get high quality results at all ranges—super close up with my subjects (almost macro), medium range stuff like street photography and larger landscape type shots. I want a device I can travel with and create incredibly high quality stuff on; this will be what I carry on my person whenever I go on an adventure.

My teacher says the lens is so much more important than the body so maybe I should be asking more about that. Feel free to educate me and tell me what my best options are! Share your own stories of camera searching and what you discovered! Thank you so much everyone!!! I really appreciate your help on my camera search :)

PS: Please don't suggest I look into stuff like the Nikon CoolPix. I bought one off a friend for really cheap about a year ago and quickly realized it wasn't what I was looking for. Maybe I'm just completely missing something about it, but I found it to be below par in terms of what I want.

For 1000$ get the Nikon D5300 with it kit lens and add to it Nikon 50mm 1.8G
Thats a perfect start and once you will learn more you will know better yourself where to go from there.

I agree with Derrel's recs, and then spend a couple hundred on some great primes to learn with.

I bought my Nikon D5000 some years ago with the same two lenses as in Derrel's post, but for less money, of course.

$1,000 is a good budget, and for that you can get a new 5300 with the 18-140. Or you can purchase the 5200 with two lenses and have money for a 50mm.

Or you can purchase factory reconditioned 5300 with the 18-55 for a little more than half your budget, leaving enough for another new or used lens.

Ordinarily I recommend maxing out your initial purchase budget because you'll grow into whichever camera you buy.

If you're open to spending more, there is this: Nikon D7100 DX-format Digital SLR Camera with 18-105mm VR Lens Black 1515, which is a new D7100 with the 18-105 for $1200.

By the way, I do not recommend buying one of those "50-piece" kits that include a cheap tripod, small bag, filters, etc., because the extras that they throw into the deal aren't what you will end up using anyway, so all that extra stuff just gets put into a box somewhere while you're out shopping for better stuff.

Last edited:
Before suggesting any type of camera, I would highly recommend to first look at the whole... picture. I mean, when you purchase a DSLR, you also buy into a whole system of lenses and accessories. A brand might be better for your needs, and it would be very costly to change ship later once you are heavily invested in a system. Make a list of all the lenses you would like to acquire in the next say 5 years, and go online on B&H or Adorama, and fill up your cart to see where it will get you. You may then realize that a brand has a better selection of lenses and accessories for your needs. Then, go to a store and hold those cameras in your hand to see how you like them. In the DSLR category, your main choices will be between Nikon and Canon, and if you have a good sense of humour, maybe Pentax.

Also, if sports photography or birds photography is not in your future, you might want to consider mirrorless cameras, as some models are very compact. You'll then have the choice between Fuji, Sony, Panasonic, etc.

Good luck!

Late response, but I guess I'll chime in considering I have a D3300...

I bought the D3300 a couple months back as my first DSLR and have been perfectly happy with it. There isn't really a huge different in performance between it and the D5200. The 5200 has a fold out screen and that's about it. If you go the Nikon route, get the 3300, as Nikon is clearing D3300 inventory to make room for a replacement, so they're fairly inexpensive right now, even with a couple of lenses.

I think your teacher is giving you some great advice, but what I think you should do is visit a camera store and check out the cameras in person and see which ones feels comfortable in your hands. You also may prefer Canon's button layout and menu system, or you might prefer Nikon's. Both have an extensive set of lenses available.

Regarding lenses, I really think you'd be better off to just stick with the 18-55 kit lens for right now and learn with that, get use to the camera and then pick up an additional lens like a 35 or 50mm prime.

I like Canon's lineup of lenses for beginners a little bit more than Nikon's... but that depends on what you want. If you don't want an ultra wide angle lens, for example, then I think Nikon is almost your automatic go-to. On the flip side, Nikon has a better lineup of beginner cameras (D5200/5300/3200/3300), compared to Canon's.

The lens is important. The camera body is also important. If you don't have the right lens, you can end up with a soft photo, or you won't have the right aperture range, or you won't have the right focal length, or there might be something else bad going on. If you don't have the right camera body, you might be getting significantly more noise in your photos when you get around to boosting your ISO, or you might not be drawing out as much detail as you could with the lens you shoot with. The lens budget usually should win out, but it depends on where your budget starts and ends. If you're looking at $1000, then you're at about a 50/50 or 40/60 split for camera-lens.

You're used to shooting with a full frame camera that isn't too bulky, takes in a lot of light at f1.4, and gets a full frame field of view out of the 50mm lens. As mentioned above, you don't just buy a camera and a lens: You buy into a whole system. If you get a D5200, or D3300, for example, you will have to buy lenses knowing that you have a crop DSLR system. You will also have to stick with Nikon-mount lenses. The implications:
1) When you buy a lens, you need to multiply the field of view by approximately 1.5. If you want the same field of view you had with the 50mm on your Minolta, you will need to buy a 35mm lens (instead of a 50mm lens).
2) If you buy a DX-only lens, you almost certainly will not want to take that lens with you if you ever upgrade your camera body to a full frame system. This further pigeon-holes you, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. You just need to be aware that as you buy incremental upgrades (new lenses for your DX camera), you have to decide between buying the best lens for you now, or a lens that you can take with you to an FX camera. It's usually best to get what you need right now, which can be frustrating later down the line (if you end up having to resell that lens to move forward).
3) Note that the depth of field on a DX camera is larger than on an FX camera, when comparing the same apertures. If you take a shot at 50mm at f2.8 on a full frame camera, you would need to take a shot at 35mm at f1.8 on a crop sensor camera to get a similar (nearly identical) field of view and depth of field.

Based on what you say you want, I would look at either the D3300 or the D5200. Next comes your decision about weight and size (and budget): If you're willing to stretch your budget, and you don't mind carrying around a larger lens, the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 produces excellent photos. You will have a limited focal range (full frame equivalent 27mm - 52.5mm), but you will get a wide-to-normal focal range with an excellent constant aperture of f1.8. Besides that, the resale value of this lens should hold up.

Alternatively, if you're looking to keep the size/weight down, I would consider the same camera bodies I've mentioned, and get the 35mm 1.8G DX lens ($200 or less), and possibly something like the 85mm 1.8G to pair with it.

Last edited:
I'd actually recommend spending a bit more and going with a D7200 with 18-140mm kit lens and pair that with a 70-300 VR II for longer reach, which you'll want, if even just eventually. The D7100 is a great camera...I own one! But starting from scratch, you may as well just get the updated model.

I wouldn't go the route of a D5xxx series because the controls are just completely different than the D3xxx and D7xxx series of bodies due to the flip out LCD, and if you're looking to go pro, you'll appreciate the direct controls and handling, rather than having to maneuver through menus.

Also, the D7xxx series have a tougher body and accepts older lenses for auto-focusing since it has its own focus drive, rather than the D3xxx's and D5xxx's that rely on lenses having the focus drive. I'm not saying that manually focusing is an issue for you (I also have an X-700. It's still my primary film camera), because it's obviously not, but auto-focus will help in the long run.

Another advantage of a D7200 is that it's better weather sealed than any of the other DX models and has much better hand grips. The dual control wheels are also nice, which goes back to nicer controls.

PaulWog brings up some good points too. You're used to shooting on full frame, so that might actually be a better place to start, with something like a D610 with a 24-120 f/4 kit lens.

since you mentioned you wanted the budget capped at $1000...
I would get a used D7100 from a reputable company either on ebay or a store like KEH, Adorama, or B&H.
the D7xxx series has a built in focus motor so you can AF older nikon lenses.
the D7100 has the new 24 MP sensor and the 51pt AF system (ive owned this camera, it is fantastic)
you can get a low miles D7100 for +/- $700 and have enough left over to pick up a 50mm f/1.4D lens (since thats what you have been shooting with)

I agree...maybe look around for a D7100...great camera and you may be able to find some good deals.

I've spent the last 8 months taking black & white analog photos with a Minolta X-700 (50mm 1.4 lens) and have decided I want to move into digital. The idea was prompted because 1) I've realized from shooting so much that photography is a major passion of mine and I'd like to study it in college. And 2) next year is my last year of high school and I want to transfer into an advanced photography class that happens to rely heavily on digital. So, I'm here to ask you guys for help buying my first high quality digital camera.

I don't have any particular budget in mind, but I'd like to cap it at $1000. My teacher has already recommended the Nikon D3200/3300/5200/5300 and the Canon Rebel T3/4/5i, but after comparing specs and features on Adorama.com and BHphotovideo.com, I realized I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm scheduling a time to sit down with my teacher and get a clearer idea of what all these models/features mean, but I thought I'd also ask you guys too. So here's my criteria (if this isn't enough, feel free to ask me more in the comments):

I'm looking for a camera and lens that will last a couple years as I segue from mastering the basics into more advanced photography. I'd like a camera that allows me to get high quality results at all ranges—super close up with my subjects (almost macro), medium range stuff like street photography and larger landscape type shots. I want a device I can travel with and create incredibly high quality stuff on; this will be what I carry on my person whenever I go on an adventure.

My teacher says the lens is so much more important than the body so maybe I should be asking more about that. Feel free to educate me and tell me what my best options are! Share your own stories of camera searching and what you discovered! Thank you so much everyone!!! I really appreciate your help on my camera search :)

PS: Please don't suggest I look into stuff like the Nikon CoolPix. I bought one off a friend for really cheap about a year ago and quickly realized it wasn't what I was looking for. Maybe I'm just completely missing something about it, but I found it to be below par in terms of what I want.

I don't think there is such a camera. Most cameras are fine but none is incredible.

If you are indeed "uber passionate", then yes, the D7x00 would be the lowest level of camera I would suggest for you, because it can serve you very well on the long term.

Late response, but I guess I'll chime in considering I have a D3300...

I bought the D3300 a couple months back as my first DSLR and have been perfectly happy with it. There isn't really a huge different in performance between it and the D5200. The 5200 has a fold out screen and that's about it. If you go the Nikon route, get the 3300, as Nikon is clearing D3300 inventory to make room for a replacement, so they're fairly inexpensive right now, even with a couple of lenses.
To each their own, I guess. I really dont see the point for the D3x00 cameras. The flipscreen of my D5100 is uber useful and often missed on my D600. Of course, nowadays with WiFi you can get some compareable functionality (no the D600 doesnt have WiFi just yet, but the D750 would have), but the flipscreen is so much more easier and faster and of course also more reliable.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back