Pentax K-30 over the Nikon D5100 - worth the extra £60?

adamjohnlewis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After carrying round a trusty old compact in my pocket for the last two years, it has finally died on me. I've decided, considering the number of photos I take, it's time to take photography more serious and invest in a dSLR... I'm a complete beginner at dSLR, but I want to learn and really get into this new hobby. After much research I narrowed my choice down to the d3200 or d5100, deciding on the latter as a user looks less likely to outgrow it. However just before I took the plunge even further into my student overdraft, I did a little more research I came across the weatherprooth pentax k-30. I found it with a 18-55mm weatherproof lense for £425. The cheapest I have found the D5100 is £360.

One of the questions I have is how un-weather resistant is a d5100? I have a job as a ski rep and would love to take my camera up on the mountain with me (on days when I'm not planning on skiing anything to extreme). Obviously the K-30 would be better for this considering it's cold resistant. But I was wondering is it a really bad idea to take the average dSLR (such as the D5100) out in freezing conditions? I also plan on hiking/travelling a fair bit over the next few years, are dSLRs really delicate or are they ok with a few knocks here and there?

On snapsort the K-30 camera comes out considerably better Nikon D5100 vs Pentax K-30 - Our Analysis . However I've read the auto-focus leaves a lot to be desired on the k-30 and the d5100 comes out on top.

I'm also a little put off by the fact pentax isn't one of the 'big two', if I really wanted to take my hobby further in a few years and further invest would this mean I would have to learn how to use an entirely different interface again or is it relatively easy to switch brands? The same goes for lenses, will it be a lot more difficult to get goodvalue decent lenses for pentax or is there still plenty out there to satisfy?

£400 was my original budget, but perhaps I could stretch to £450 if I did find the perfect camera. I'm a beginner, excited and willing to learn. What are your thoughts?

One of the questions I have is how un-weather resistant is a d5100?

No way. d5100 are not water resistant. And my opinion that AF of k-30 even faster then d5100 (because all of nikon xxxxD are slow). I know it by my own experience.

I read a review of the new Pentax...it seems like a fine camera. It really,really does!!! HONESTLY, for an APS-C camera maker, Pentax has done a marvelous job of offering lenses for APS-C shooters--a far better job than Canon,or Nikon, or Sony. If you are not tied to a system, the K-30 looks to me to be a good camera--and ESPECIALLY considering how advanced it is for its price! I would agree that it is worth the extra over the D5100.

Pentax K-30 Review: Digital Photography Review

(because all of nikon xxxxD are slow). I know it by my own experience.

Are you saying all Nikons focus slowly? I have a D5000 and D800 and can't say I share that opinion.

One thing at least worth considering since you are here on a photography forum...check out the Pentax forum vs the Nikon one - there are at this time 3 people viewing the Pentax forum vs. 228 on Nikon. You will get more feedback from Nikon users when asking camera-specific questions. It is unfortunate as the Pentax seems to be a great camera, but it is worth considering. The last post on the main Pentax forum was on the 11th (7 days ago)...not good.

Last edited:
All of Nikon's DSLR cameras are water resistant to one degree or another, but the D5100 has no additional weather-sealing.

How fast a Nikon Dxxxx will auto focus is dependent on the lens that is mounted, because the auto focus motor is in the lens.

Are you saying all Nikons focus slowly? I have a D5000 and D800 and can't say I share that opinion.

One thing at least worth considering since you are here on a photography forum...check out the Pentax forum vs the Nikon one - there are at this time 3 people viewing the Pentax forum vs. 228 on Nikon. You will get more feedback from Nikon users when asking camera-specific questions. It is unfortunate as the Pentax seems to be a great camera, but it is worth considering. The last post on the main Pentax forum was on the 11th (7 days ago)...not good.

maybe 3 viewing here....but a lot more Pentax Forum - Camera & Photography Community - PentaxForums.com a LOT more

maybe 3 viewing here....but a lot more Pentax Forum - Camera & Photography Community - PentaxForums.com a LOT more

Good link...the non-activity of Pentax users on several forums I checked was actually a sizeable reason I went w/Nikon originally. Happy to hear Pentax is getting represented elsewhere. I normally root for the underdog (when they are deserving).

Just because something is more popular does not mean it is better. Certainly nikon make fine cameras, but so do pentax

Just because something is more popular does not mean it is better. Certainly nikon make fine cameras, but so do pentax

I specifically stated this was a consideration "when asking camera-specific questions"...no mention of relative quality.

I specifically stated this was a consideration "when asking camera-specific questions"...no mention of relative quality.[/QUOTE]

I was half agreeing with you just adding that the bigger player isn't always better

How fast a Nikon Dxxxx will auto focus is dependent on the lens that is mounted, because the auto focus motor is in the lens.

Of course, but not only lens brings affect: if we mounting, for example, 18-105 on different nikon cameras (different models), we are getting different rates of focus.
The difference is small, but it is. And Dxxxx are slower than professional cameras Nikon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back