pentax K10D or Nikon D60

omar c

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hello people i'm planning to buy my first step in model camera but since i'm a complete newbie when it comes to specs and camera knowledge i'm hoping that some of you fine people might want to help me out here...

my budget is about 550 Euro MAX

and i'm not sure on what camera is most bang for my buck...reasson i'm asking here is that in literaly every store i get different awnsers and i have the idea they just want to sell stuff...

i'm having doubts between the "nikon D60" kit or the "Pentax K10D" kit...the pentax is only 20 euro's more expensive than the nikon ...

what would you guys/lady's recomand me to buy and could you please explain why without keeping it to technical :hugs:...i'm still learning here folks

i would really appreciate anny help.

kind regards

If you are happy to go with the Pentax system, the K10D has a lot to offer for the money, weather sealing etc, buit in IS and lots more. Great build quality too.

I shoot with canons, so I'm not just pushing the brand I use.:mrgreen:

Let me be the first to admit that I shoot and love Pentax and K mount cameras (I have a Ricoh film SLR).

However, the K10D and the D60 are not in the same class. The K10D is a higher-end camera with more advanced features, the D60 is aimed at beginners and has some serious limitations. The only reason the prices are the same is that D60 is brand new and the K10D is being replaced by the K20D. The K10D is simply a better camera.

Additionally, the Pentax DSLRs are compatible with an amazing back catalog of lenses that can be had for almost nothing. I just got a 50mm f/2 AND a Ricoh 35mm SLR for $21. That's tough to beat.

hey thanks for replying guys, i really appreciate the help...

only thing i'm a litl scared of is that maybe for a beginner this camera might be a bit to difficult to handle as i understand this is not really really a step in model ...on the other hand i'm eager to learn and i look at it as a challenge so looking forward to the challenge...

hey thanks for replying guys, i really appreciate the help...

only thing i'm a litl scared of is that maybe for a beginner this camera might be a bit to difficult to handle as i understand this is not really really a step in model ...on the other hand i'm eager to learn and i look at it as a challenge so looking forward to the challenge...

In reality the more pro spec you go the easier the camera is to use. The Pentax is truly a wonderfull camera that you will grow with, instead of grow out of. :D

Pentax for sure. Anyone who buys the D60 over it is definitely an idiot and I mean it. The K10D is good enough for pros but the D60 is far from it. The advantages of the K10D over the D60 are countless and I don't there is a single specification where the K10D is less than far superior.

K10D = Ordinary Pro/Amateur
D60 = Fancy Snapshoter/Beginner

K10D may be somewhat older but it is still an awesome camera.

well, thanx to you guys i made up my mind...K10D it is. :D

what would be a nice kind of all round lens to go with the K10D body for a beginner as i just find out they don't have the K10D no longer available with Lens included , only the body whitch is going to coast me around 450 Euro's....since my budget is 550euro's is it even possible to find a good beginner lens for say 100Euro's...sorry if i'm asking stupid questions here guys, but ive been saving for a descent camera for like 1 year so i'd hate to buy the wrong stuff...

annyway thnx again for pointing me in the wright direction here...really appreciate it

The 18-55 II is all you can get for that money. However, it's by far the best 18-55 on the market, both optically and physically (design & build quality).

If you can afford it, the 18-250mm is the best choice if you are to get just one lens. All the lenses you'll need for a while in one. No more annoying, time consuming, lens changes.

The 18-55 II is all you can get for that money. However, it's by far the best 18-55 on the market, both optically and physically (design & build quality).

If you can afford it, the 18-250mm is the best choice if you are to get just one lens. All the lenses you'll need for a while in one. No more annoying, time consuming, lens changes.

While this lens does have its optical compromises, I have to agree that for a beginner to the DSLR world a K10D and 18-250mm would be a revelation and give you all of the flexibility to develop your skills to the point where you need more specific gear. If the price isn't right, the 18-55 II is known as one of the best "kit" lenses around, so you can't go wrong (I have the older non "II" version and I use it for 80% of my shooting or more).

If you've never used a modern SLR camera before the K10D is going to be an absolute revelation. I also think it's the best deal going in cameras right now- six months ago they were around the $1000 mark.

The first lens I purchased to accompany my k10d was the 50mm
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/40755-USA/Pentax_20817_Normal_SMCP_FA_50mm_f_1_4.html

I wouldn't necessarily consider it an all around lens, as most would automatically think of a zoom like the 18-55 mentioned above, but I have the 50mm mounted more often than not. Granted it's a few bucks (or euro) more than the 18-55 but a heck of a lens (and you can still zoom with your feet).

my .02

hey folks, guess what , i just bought my first big camera !! its looking absolutely mint.

i got the 18-55 II with the body and the total price was 555euro's

maybe one final litl question, is there a way to see the clicks count on the pentax, because when i bought this i noticed that the box had been opened and also the "Eyecup" was missing from the box (called the shop and they are going to give me a replacement tomorrow)...i just want to make sure the guy didn't gave me a demo /showroom model, so it would be nice if maybe i could see if it has allot of clicks..normally with a brand new straight out of the box it should be 0 clicks right..?

anyway i appreciate all the help you guys have gave me, very cool forum and definetly a place i'm going to visit more to show you guys some of my beginner pictures ...

have a good one

ok guys i figured out on how to trace the shutter count...i used the program "photoME" and i loaded a picture i took with the pentax K10D and the shutter count for the camera is at 206....does this mean that i have a demo/used model or is this normal that straight out the box camera's have a shutter count of 200

also the very first image i made had the following file name "IMGP0089.JPG" now i'm pretty new to this but this means that there has been taken 88 pictures by someone before me with this camera wright...never been used camera's should start at say "0001.jpeg"

so is it fair to this is in no way a brand new camera

Most reactions

Back