Pentax teasing the release of the 645?

inTempus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It's about time is all I have to say. I think it would definately breathe a little life into Pentax. I've been a pentax shooter for some time now and am very happy with them. I think the lack of having a "pro" model in their line up has really hurt them in the market place. I think there are many wanna be photographers who shy away from them b/c they didn't have an expensive FF or MF body that they "need in the future to grow into" even though the vast majority of the buyers will never progress beyond a snapshot quality and will drop the hobby altogether. Still they bought into Nikon or Canon b/c "one day" they would need that pro body.

Anyway, I think it would shake up the competition a little and if nothing else, raise the bar for Nikon and Canon.

I like the strategy of introducing a medium format body. If they get one on the market for less than, say $7k... OMG, it would be an instant hit. The lower they get the price, the more excitement it will generate.

About that strategy part... Pentax would be skipping the whole full frame format and jumping straight to medium format, a format Nikon and Canon currently lack. If they come to market with a very competitive price, they will literally have no competition as the Hassy's, Mamiya and Phase One of the world are considerably more expensive.

If they can't get the cost down... it makes little sense to introduce such a product. So I suspect it's going to be pretty cheap, or so I hope! I may end up with one. :D

About that strategy part... Pentax would be skipping the whole full frame format and jumping straight to medium format, a format Nikon and Canon currently lack.

Ralphie: [narrating] NOW it was serious. A double-dog-dare. What else was there but a "triple dare you"? And then, the coup de grace of all dares, the sinister triple-dog-dare.

Schwartz: I TRIPLE-dog-dare ya!

Ralphie as Adult: [narrating] Schwartz created a slight breach of etiquette by skipping the triple dare and going right for the throat!

Yes, a slight breach of etiquette by skipping the FF and going straight to MF. You gotta think that Nikon and Canon have a half ready prototype sitting on someone's desk ready to make a teaser of their own though given all the $ they have for research.... or at least they better.

Hmm canon and nikon might just be willing to sit in the 35mm and crop sensor markets - since wouldn't a medium format body require new medium format glass to be made?

That would be the killing point and as I see it canon and nikon both have their work out out chasing their own highres camera sensors with new lens releases.

Interesting to see how this will end up...

They better this time...... They disappointed me a few years ago when they shelved the project. If its way under $10k and backwards compatible with manual 645 lenses, i'd seriously look into it.

I thought you liked 1/60sec flash sync? ;)

And apparently the new Pentax is a Japan market release only

So suggested retail of approx $9400 and compatible with 645AF2, 645AF and 645A lens mounts. The ISO sensitivity is 200-1000 w/ boost of 100 and 1600. Why not make it 100-1600 standard w/o the boost? Also why the 1/125 sync speed? Isn't 1/250 more standard? Shutter rated 50K...that seems a little low is it not when we're talking about a $10K camera, or is the thinking that someone who drops that kind of load, someone who would approach photography more like those with a film background and you're going to take the time to get it right in camera instead of spray and pray?

So, anyone got an extra $10K they're not using?

They better this time...... They disappointed me a few years ago when they shelved the project. If its way under $10k and backwards compatible with manual 645 lenses, i'd seriously look into it.

there's a press release on dpreview as of yesterday. the camera can mount 645 lenses but the bundled software can only correct the latest lenses.

Shutter rated 50K...that seems a little low

i thought that too. something to try to remember for a few years hence, when used ones start appearing on ebay.

Well, it's not like you're going to be blasting away at 7 FPS at a football game with it...

How does that compare the the shutter life of a film 645?
(Really, I don't know.)

Shutter replacement is what - a couple hundred? Still sounds like a pretty good deal...

10 years at 5000/year. 100 shots a week. i guess that's acceptable for considered, landscape use.
a photographer could use a DSLR as well to research a place, then plan the pukka shots.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back