Pepper for your C&C

Rick58

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The wife dragged me along grocery shopping and I saw these brightly colored peppers in the produce isle.
C&C is always more then welcome.

View attachment 33243

Last edited:
Nicely done, but I'm not sure I'm crazy about the single light source. Parts of the peppers look a little dull, especially the red one. If the light were higher more of the peppers would be well lit, although there are infinite variations on this, and some may prefer something more like this.

Thanks Ken, I had simular comments about my basket of fruit. I'm playing with single light source and the classic still life compositions. I apprecicate the positioning critque. That would certainly brighhten the red.
I attempted a strong side light to bring out the shadows on the tops of the orange and red peppers while hitting the yellow straight on. I was hoping for a complete ring of highlights on the top of the yellow, but didn't quite pull it off.

Like what, Ken? :wink: My market gets a bit crazed when I walk in with the camera...and they follow me around. I did get permission one time to shoot flowers there but even then they still hovered about. Wasn't sure what they thought was going to happen.

Wait....... what?!?!? You set up a photo studio in the middle of a grocery store?
z133.gif
Or does the store staff actually create a photo op for customers? :lmao:

jk. Nice capture. It would be nice if the red one was a bit brighter. Easy to do, especially if you shot raw.

Like what, Ken? :wink: My market gets a bit crazed when I walk in with the camera...and they follow me around. I did get permission one time to shoot flowers there but even then they still hovered about. Wasn't sure what they thought was going to happen.

Bought the peppers. That's my $4.00 prop...:wink:

Wait....... what?!?!? You set up a photo studio in the middle of a grocery store?
z133.gif
Or does the store staff actually create a photo op for customers? :lmao:

Now I'm confused too. I assumed he bought the peppers and photographed them at home.

Yep I did.
I set them on the mirror from the bathroom medicine cabinet
Dropped a black cloth across the back of the chair
Throw a second black cloth over my head and across the back of the chair
Shot the side light through an opening in the cloths.
Stopped down to 4.5 to throw the background out
3 seconds later... peppers

Last edited:
Rick, love what you did here, to the point that you're inspiring me to try some still-life photography. The arrangement of the peppers looks great. Single light might not satisfy everybody, but it certainly adds drama! I hope you don't mind me editing this image – it's the second one of yours that I profane in just a couple weeks so if you want me to take it down I will.

$Peppers copy.jpg

I removed a slight colour cast (likely a minor WB issue), then added some contrast, then darkened the reflection a bit. I wish I was the one who took this photo :)

I see...well, if I was going to shoot peppers I would do the same thing...I was more interested in shooting lines/rows of cans, boxes, etc. I also liked to shoot their loose veggies and flowers...

I like the original and like Invisible's edit...but think the exposure lies somewhere between the two.

Rick, love what you did here, to the point that you're inspiring me to try some still-life photography. The arrangement of the peppers looks great. Single light might not satisfy everybody, but it certainly adds drama! I hope you don't mind me editing this image – it's the second one of yours that I profane in just a couple weeks so if you want me to take it down I will.

View attachment 33215

I removed a slight colour cast (likely a minor WB issue), then added some contrast, then darkened the reflection a bit. I wish I was the one who took this photo :)

Thanks Federico, I never mind edits, especially when it shows me what I missed. Yours is surely superior. Sparky alsp mentioned how I could bring out the red which I was going to look into. My PP is still pretty crude, but I'm learning.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back